Help!! Cylinder cover gaskets and o rings

Scottish Thrower

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This is our first rebuild, bougt new gasket kit, started to put the cylinder head cover back on and not sure of where the o rings go. I have a good idea but there are 2 different sizes. one is very small about 1/4" dia. and the other os about 1/2" dia.
do the four smallest ones go over the 4 outside bolts? also there:confused::confused::confused: is no gasket for the cover, do you just use silacone gasket maker?

If anyone has a diagram of how this goes together could you please send it to me or show me a link?

Thanks.

I think the smallest ones are for the valve guides. You wouldn't replace or use them unless you had the guides out. Next bigger ones I think are for the sleeves that fit into the 4 outer stud holes in the top cover. Once again, you don't use/replace them unless you had those sleeves out. You don't pull those sleeves unless you are removing the rocker shafts which isn't always done on a rebuild.

There is no top cover gasket, you just use sealer - BUT NOT SILICONE. Use Yamabond, 3-Bond, or an equivalent. Go to any of the parts sellers (Yamaha dealers) on-line and look at the exploded parts diagram for the head. That will show you the details of the assembly.

What about the 4 inner bolts? two of them have sleeves and two dont. I cant find a good clear diaram but it looks like the 4 inner bolts have o rings.

There are no sleeves or o-rings on the inner 4 studs. I don't know what you're looking at that would indicate that. Try this one .....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y...CYLINDER HEAD COVER XS650D - E - E/parts.html

Of note are parts 6 and 7. That is the sleeve and o-ring for the outer stud holes. Look down in the parts listing below the pic and you see there are 4 of each. Also of note is #2. That is the small o-ring in your kit for the valve guides.

Personally, I won't touch a bike, any bike, without a manual in hand. Many (like yourself it seems) take a different point of view, thinking they can fix anything, especially some old motorcycle, lol. Well, good luck with that .....

Back