Help. Does any one know the length sprocket to sprocket?

jtg89

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Bought a 76 xs650 looks to be dropped and possibly stretched but I don't know. Does anyone know the length from sprocket to sprocket I don't know if forks were messed with either so I don't know if I can go off factory wheel base spec. It's a project bike that needs a little bit. Including chain which is why I would like to figure out the stretch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 144
You will just have to measure to buy a chain , the swing arm has been changed so it will not be a stock length . The front end ( forks ) look like they may be stock , and it doesn't look like the rake has been changed , but maybe lowered .

JTG,
Easier to get a hunk of chain and count links. Wrap around the front sprocket and pull back to rear sprocket on the top. Then count the number of links on the top row from the very front tooth of the front sprocket to the middle back tooth of the rear sprocket and double the amount. You will be very close to exact if not exact if you are careful getting the tooth count and link count right count.

Or you could do some math and some measuring. The 650 uses a 530 chain which has links 5/8" long. The stock length is 104 links but the master link would make it 105. So, 5/8" x 105 = 525/8 or 65.6". Half of that would be 32.8". Have a helper hold the end of your tape measure at the center rear of the rear sprocket, bend it up over the top, and measure to the center front of the front sprocket, rolling it down over the front sprocket to that center point. If longer than about 33", figure out how many 5/8" increments make up that difference, double it, and that will give you a pretty good idea of how many more links you need.

Aftermarket chain is usually sold in 10 link increments (100, 110, 120, etc.). You buy longer than you need and shorten it. It should also be mentioned that chain is shortened two links at a time. A chain is made up of inner and outer links but you must remove two at a time (an inner and an outer) so you are left with an inner to mate up with the inner on the other end of the chain and accept the master link.

Thanks for the input that's what u was think. Just get a longer chain and take out links. But I am still curious to know the stretch just to know. That being said I guess I could just compare the number of links in the new chain to the 104 (105 master link) and find out that way. (center front sprocket to center rear would work if someone has already checked for shits and gigs. If no one has don't bother going out of your way to. I'll just figure it out in a few days or so when I have time to get a chain or have it shipped) thanks again

Back