Help! Finding a short

peetacheeta

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, the bike is a 77' xs650. (i converted to new mini 20 fuses)
Last Fall i got caught in some rain and shortly there after my turn signals and brake light stopped working. i continued to ride as the season was almost over and sometimes as i was riding the fuse would blow and the bike would die, obviously. Then as soon as i would try and start the bike the fuse would blow. . The key can sit in the on position with the lights on but as soon as i hit the start button it blows.
I have a multi meter and i have checked the turn signals and the brake light (thought id start there) but with no luck.
I;m pulling my hair out here and i really want to start riding.

Any advice on what it might be or where to check next?

thanks

ok, so i got it running, dont know how. but the turn signals and brake light still dont work.
As i let it idle i was looking at it and noticed the brake light switch(spring) was sparking. this has to be where it is grounding/shorting out right?
i took the switch right off (the plastic thread broke into 2) and the signals still dont work.
so now i;m thinking the short could have blown the flasher relay?
would the flasher relay out also cause the brake light to not work?

any help is appreciated

thanks

yeah the single glass one blew so i switched to the mini 20amp fuse and run 1. stock circuits i would assume(what other circuit would i run?)

Some people add a fuse panel and have different fuses for different circuits. Is the fuse still blowing after finding the brake light switch problem? If you touch the two wires together at your brake light switch connector does the brake light work? The short really shouldn't have fried your signal flasher, thats what the fuse is for. There is a brown wire on the flasher that should have 12v on it with the key on, you could check that but you have to take the tank off to get to it.

The fuse isnt blowing anymore but as stated above, it used to be fine without those lights working tand then one day just started blowing. but i imagine fixing that spark should solve the problem.
i just ordered a new brake light switch and flasher from mikes xs. The flasher in there was aftermarket and installed by a P.O. I have the tank off already and noticed 2 brown wires, i'll check them both once i have the new parts on.
also, on my instrument panel, the left signal indicator is always lit. it was like this when the bike was fully functional as well. could this be a sign of something?

Open the head light and check the black grommets at the back that the wires pass through. A decayed grommet and a wire shorting to the headlight shell has happened to at least a few guys.

Back