start button dead đź’€ pics included

Liquid electrical tape?

1711985993464.png

Yes, you want to cover that lower terminal on the starter motor where the heavy cable connects. When I got my '78, the starter didn't work at all, totally dead. Turns out there was nothing wrong with the starter motor, the boot on the terminal had split and it got all rusty. I took it apart and cleaned it all up, and the starter has worked fine ever since (replaced the boot as well). As I recall, the crimp on the heavy wire is double nutted on the terminal (trapped between the two nuts). I held the bottom nut while I removed the upper one and things came apart OK without twisting the stud and ripping any wires off, lol.

Oh, that's useful to know. Thanks.

The rubber boot is missing from the stater motor terminal on the bike I have. I want to fit the rubber boot on to protect the terminal from road grime. Maybe I can disconnect the cable at the starter relay and feed the boot down the cable without disturbing the terminal on the starter motor. I'll try it next time I work on the bike.

Apologies for the thread hijack.

Personally, I consider the starter motor terminal a one time maintenance/inspection item on any bike I pick up, so...

There's supposed to be a nut under and on top of the terminal. If the under nut is still in fair shape, it's a simple matter of putting a spanner on it while you loosen the top nut. Clean everything up real good, maybe replace the terminal and nut's-n-washers... install a new boot and you're good.

Top pic: before disassembly. Notch the upper nut to drive it off with a punch
Middle pic: sad state, eh?
Bottom pics: All better

1711998147693.png

1711998263016.png

1711998220682.png

1711998342751.png

Personally, I consider the starter motor terminal a one time maintenance inspection item on any bike I pick up, so...

There's supposed to be a nut under and on top of the terminal. If the under nut is still in fair shape, it's a simple matter of putting a spanner on it while you loosen the top nut. Clean everything up real good, maybe replace the terminal and nut's-n-washers... install a new boot and you're good.

Top pic: before disassembly. Notch the upper nut to drive it off with a punch
Middle pic: sad state, eh?
Bottom pics: All better

View attachment 309533

View attachment 309536

View attachment 309535

View attachment 309537
Thanks. External inspection of mine shows the terminal is shiny like pucture #3 there. Cable is fitted. But the rubber boot is missing. I haven't started it yet. So how good the starter motor actually is, I don't yet know. But the fact that the terminal is shiny new on a 47 year old bike clearly means someone has been in there before they sold the bike.

Seems to me, the OP is likely going to have to take a careful look at the start motor if shorting the relay doesn't crank the engine?

i fixed the kickstarter and she runs!
i changed the oil which was black.

now it appears everthing works on this bike except the starter button. death silence nothing zero when i press the button.

i took apart the button and cleaned it, there was no rust and a little corrosion i cleaned.

do i need to open the headlight? is there a ground wire that is maybe causing this?

since i kicked it once and the bike started, does this mean my battery is good enough?

Last edited:
Back