HELP first ride was a fail!

Made the first trip to work today, made but a new problem showed up. About half way through my trip buzzing down the street bike just shuts off. Coast to the side of the road quickly glance over everything, give it a good kick fires right up no problem. Thoughts on what to check now? I just completely rewired the bike, all connections feel good and tight.

Symptoms are similar to dirty, burned, tarnished contacts inside of the ignition switch. Or, fuel flow. Or, some other electrical or ignition gremlin.

Did you loose any electric lights when this happened? Did you move the key switch before starting it again or did you turn the key off and on again before starting? Again, did the electrics go out when the engine quit?

Scott

I'm only running a toggle and it's brand new brass contacts. No vapor lock on the tank like before, filter full of fuel. No battery so if engine shuts off everything shuts off, only thing that stays on after I kill it is neutral indicator but I was in 4th so no luck there.

After it died first thing I did was open the gas cap no vaccum, looked at the fuel filter it was full petcock was turned on. Kicked fired up first kick. No problems on the return trip, just seems to be a once in awhile issue.

Well trip home from work on Friday was miserable, every time slowing down or stopping it would die. Popping out the exhaust, bad idle, cutting out at higher rpms. Took it home and rushed to my other job. Tore into it Saturday float bowls full of a sandy paste, guess I didnt get the tank clean enough.

Well trip home from work on Friday was miserable, every time slowing down or stopping it would die. Popping out the exhaust, bad idle, cutting out at higher rpms. Took it home and rushed to my other job. Tore into it Saturday float bowls full of a sandy paste, guess I didnt get the tank clean enough.

Yep, that same paste is in your tank, petcock, tank screen, petcock screen, fuel lines and now it is in your carburetors. When you get it all cleaned out, install a fuel filter between the petcock/petcocks and carburetors to keep the gunk from reaching the carburetors.

Scott

130/134 compression is good.My Manual states for a 1977 136 per side brand new.Different years had diff
compression numbers. My 77 only has approx. 4000 miles on engine with new rings and I get 134 per side HOT!

That's the thing had brand new lines and filter before tank was reinstalled after paint. I'm going to do new lines and filter again, plus I soaked the tank with a cleaning solution for over 24 hours. I'm going to flush it with water, and make sure it's completely clean.

Sounds good about rinsing the tank. The smallest passages are in the petcocks, the most likely to clog and restrict fuel and trickle it to the carbs so that you will be riding around running out of gas even though there is gas in the tank. If your petcocks are like mine there are two screens, one screen sticks up into the tank and one is in the lower part of the petcock.

Back