Help! I think I broke something.

While a 'spare' motor may be an option, you might also want to check out JimD54's excellent write-up in the Tech section regarding a top-end rebuild. You'd be freshening the motor and you need to replace the piston(s) anyways... Although Jim makes it look soooo easy! If you have the time, it shouldn't cost you too much $$$. Best of luck. :thumbsup:

ahh you have even milder winters than moab...you have the winter jackalopes out there eh? Them and armadillos have me nervous about going to Texas...I hear those 2 critters wreak havoc on everyday life.
we have warning signs to watch out and avoid crossing with jackalope here. They look innocent enough but omg are they mean and agressive!
IMG_20180921_065019.jpg

I plan to do the work, my question now is do I rebuild it to factory specs or do I put on a big bore kit.

This very well could be my fault. I adjusted the timing as it should’ve been according to the service manual. I’ve also been using ethanol free 87 octane due to that being recommended. I even have a thread about octane booster’s...

Also while I’m in there is there anything else that should be upgraded or replaced?

What are the signs or symptoms of this about to happen? It seemed to be running fine.

When you set the timing, did you check it at full advance as well as at idle? It's very important to do that on these bikes because they can still over advance even if the idle timing is set right.

Read up on the timing governor/ATU, Srawl. When the bobweight tips wear the advance curve stretches, so if you set the ignition to the retard marks at idle you wind up in the piston holing range when rpms increase to the operating range and timing advances. Re. early warning of detonation, listen for "pinging;" it sounds like teenie tiny miners with teenie tiny picks swinging away in your motor.

this is only the second time after many postmortems that I've seen the left piston holed. But with OE breaker point ignition either points set can be set too far advanced.
I'm curious Dick, you ever hear tell of or see a stock TCI engine hole a piston?

Maybe pamco or boyer could have more of a chance since it can be moved/rotated not so much TCI well I guess moving the trigger....nevermind just thinking out loud here. Lol

Any ignition that still uses the stock advance unit (like the basic Pamco) could over advance if/as that unit begins to wear. Yamaha built in some compensation for this by specing the idle timing as a 5° range as opposed to just one setting. You set it towards the retarded side of this range as the ATU begins wearing. New, the ATU advanced the timing a set amount, 25°. As they wear, the amount they advance begins to grow (26°, 27°, etc.).

Jim, I've only seen one holed piston in an XS650 motor with electronic ignition of any kind. The motor had factory TCI. A friend of mine bought the bike cheap as a titled nonrunner. The PO had installed a pair of NGK BP5ES plugs, presumably to impede oil fouling. My best guess is that between burning oil reducing the effective octane rating of the fuel and the hot plug, the poor piston didn't stand a chance--a guy can burn up anything if he tries hard enough. Robin, I haven't seen Pamco ignitions out this way, but if they're the type that retains the OE mechanical advance, the pistons will be nearly as much at risk as with breaker points.

5t, more than once I've found ATU bobweights so badly worn that to set full advance at 40* BTDC, the retard timing wound up all the way back to 0* BTDC--a full 40* interval in the advance curve. The stickier an unlubed advance rod gets, the more load gets placed on the bobweights, and more load=more wear.

Thanks for the reply grizld1. Would using a Pamco with e-advance reduce the risk?
Not sure how a Boyer helps in this regard but they seem to be a pretty solid alternative.
I'm guessing the price difference is what causes folks to pick the Pamco?

Robin, the OE ATU isn't an inherently bad device, it just requires observation and maintenance. But it doesn't usually get much of that, and when it's been sufficiently abused it can go rogue and start eating pistons. Any electronic advance will dodge that bullet. I used Boyer ignitions for years, but I really don't like the design. The timing plate is mounted over the Hall effect magnetic rotor. This prevents visual inspection. If that isn't a bad enough design feature, the timing plate is flimsy and mounts on the edge of the ignition housing, which doesn't support it all the way around. The first Boyer system I installed lasted more than 15 years. The next one was in use for less than two seasons before it caused trouble. I put in yea, many hours of troubleshooting in search of the cause of a 6500 rpm breakup before pulling the timing plate and finding that it had warped concave to the point that the rotor was contacting the solder pads on the back of the plate. I bought a new timing plate and reinforced it with a bit of extra fibreglass. It worked. Later I installed a Probe ignition, and never looked back. (Sadly, Mark Whitebook has discontinued production of Probe motorcycle ignitions). I've never used a Pamco ignition, but the e-advance Pamco system looks to be better designed than Boyer.

Jim, I've only seen one holed piston in an XS650 motor with electronic ignition of any kind. The motor had factory TCI. A friend of mine bought the bike cheap as a titled nonrunner. The PO had installed a pair of NGK BP5ES plugs

Sounds more of an operator/maintenance error that caused the bike to hole itself. That would be one way to keep the oil in the sump!!! Lol

Back