Help identifying a hot engine vacuum leak

No, I don't think it would cause much extra heat, the advance rod doesn't move much. It will cause it to stick though, so it won't smoothly go from retarded to advanced and back again. This causes all sorts of running problems because the timing isn't matched to the engine speed as it should be.
Im still trying to work out an over heating issue. Engine runs hot and I lose timing and get backfires through the carbs. And it will kick my leg back. My electronic advance is all the eay advanced to hit my timing mark. Ive seen it on a Utube video with out an answer why. I am also dealing with alumimum shavings in my oil which I ordered a new chain and guide. Is it possible that my chain is so wore out that is why I have to advance my timing so far? And it is causing my engine to heat?

Have you repaired the previously badly worn cam chain yet?
20220824_125236.jpg

In answer to your questions - yes and yes. The slack in the cam chain is taken up by the adjuster pushing a rubber "shoe" against the back run of the chain. This rolls the cam backwards a little and that retards the timing. You compensate by adjusting the timing plate, advancing it. But eventually, when the chain gets too stretched out and worn, you will run out of timing plate adjustment. The way your adjuster needs to be screwed in so far also indicates a badly stretched chain.

You should really upgrade your type D adjuster to a type E with a lock nut. See post #22 here .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/cam-chain-tensioners.1056/page-2

dealing with aluminum shavings in my oil
Just do it, when the rubber falls off the guide it changes the cam/crank relationship. Could make the camchain loose enough for the cam to skip a tooth in the chain.

"it will kick my leg back"

And yes severely advanced timing can cause detonation, overheating, other engine damage.

Back