Help in choosing Boyer ignition system

Ratty

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After spending many frustrating hours trying to get my XS650 running I discovered that the pickup that goes on to the stator assembly didn't work. I have looked for a new one and have found these to be almost impossible to get. I have tried to put it back to points but this has proved to be easier said than done! So I am looking to fit a Boyer ignition system to it and discovered yet another hurdle...Which Boyer ignition system do I require? I have just looked on a few parts sites and there is more than one, my engine number is 2FO-110432.

Can anyone help me with what hopefully will be the solution to getting the old girl to run again.

Many thanks,

Ratty

:banghead:

Hi Ratty & welcome to the site
Prob best to go for the Micro power digital Igntion Kit from Boyer. It comes with new coils included, old coils on the XS are a known to cause trouble.
Its the kit I will get when I have the money. Its £137.75 + £9.95 p&p , available HERE
You can look at the fitting instructions on the Boyer site HERE and see some others with pictures at 650motorcycles HERE :thumbsup: Kev

Thanks for your repply kevc.i went and got one and fitted it but i still have a problem with it.
I set it all up pere instruction. But it only run on the right hand side .So i checked all the wireing it is all ok so fare. But when i went to check the earth wire it started to spark when the spaner touch the frame and the nut should this happen.do you know any one who as fitted one. ratty

No personal experience of these myself ratty but XS1961, here in the UK, has had them on his bikes for years, so you could pm him.
And quite a few others on the site have them, so Im sure someone can help
Kev

Fitted a Boyer once that replaced the points and had no problems with it.
I stuck to the instructions which wer very easy and it even hooked up to the existing coils.Maybe there is somethin else U may have missed?

my bike wouldnt run properly and in the end i gave it to the bike mechanic to fix. he thought the boyer ignition was faulty so sent it off to boyer in the south of england. they will test it for a tenner and if its faulty and within the warrenty period will send out a new one free of charge, which they did. runs ok now, but the bike mechanic told me that boyer ignition scores 1 out of 10 and he's always had lots of problems with them.

Back