Help me make a parts list for my exhaust system

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I don't mind a little chrome, but an entirely chrome exhaust system is too much.

I'm OK with chrome head pipes, but the mufflers themselves .... nah.

If there was a "Commando" system from Mikes XS where either the whole thing was black or where the mufflers were black - that would be ideal.

But ... it doesn't seem to exist so ... here we go:

If I pick up the headpipes from Mikes and then mufflers from somewhere else that should work.

Question is ... which head pipes from Mikes? I have a 79 Special. It should be pretty straight forward, but what I can't figure out is which ones offer the built in bracket to bolt onto the frame underneath? Also, are the different options different sizes? I feel like based on posts by the wise elders on here, the bike benefits from a pipe slightly larger than stock.

Second thing... the muffler. Has anyone bought mufflers in black to pair with the Mikes headers in the reverse cone style? Feel like sharing a source?

Thanks gents.

I hope you like loud because mufflers that short will be very much so.

I think the headpipes you want are just the standard '70-'84 replacements .....

https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-chrome-xs-perf-headpipe-set.html

I don't think any of the headpipe sets have that frame tab. Only some of the ones in the complete systems do. But it's no big deal, just add a "P" clamp like so .....

PGZPNQY.jpg

I made my own from stainless strap.

I hope you like loud because mufflers that short will be very much so.

5Twins: I'm not looking for loud. A little rumble is OK, but not loud. That's why I'm looking for the wisdom of the board on this one. Don't they make longer ones? In the same "reverse cone" style? It doesn't have to be short, I Just really like that style of muffler and would prefer it in black. The chrome "a$$ cap" would be a nice touch but is not required.

Seems a waste of money to buy a whole Commando system only to have the mufflers blasted and coated....

I think the headpipes you want are just the standard '70-'84 replacements .....

I don't think any of the headpipe sets have that frame tab. Only some of the ones in the complete systems do. But it's no big deal, just add a "P" clamp like so ...

OK, so they are easily secured down by the frame with separate tabs, that's very good to know, thanks!

Just thought of this: Are there any good options out there for a 2-2 aftermarket exhaust that's either stainless or black? Not saying I want to go that route, but I'm considering it.

A little more expensive, but check out Cone Engineering. I think Dime City may even be a distributor for them but you can also order direct. They offer a Quite-er Core muffler made of brushed 304 SS. I've got their mini megs (12" straight core) on mine and they look really sharp. Cannot comment on loud factor yet as mine is not running, but there are a lot of You-Tube videos out there on various bikes. Customer service is top notch too. You can call and talk to their engineers and they will help make performance recommendations based on your setup.
http://www.coneeng.com/motorcycle_components.html
cone engineering.jpg
http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/motorcycle/MC-finished-Mufflers.pdf

MAC advertises that they offer their systems in black, but their checkout options only list chrome. I emailed them last week but haven't heard anything back. They must not like money.

I emailed Gary @ Hoos. He let me know he's travelling but is going to see what he has in stock when he gets back.

Those Cone Engineering mufflers look cool, but they're stainless and have no brackets on them and I can't weld stainless. They're also expensive as hell which is not cool for something that comes with no brackets.

Back