Help please! Cam Chain trouble and engine is missing.

colehooey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I attempted to adjust my cam chain tensioner to the manual spec (crank engine to TDC and set rod and adjuster flush). Now when I run my bike the engine starts missing (I think). When I'm driving it, it gets to about 3000rpm and it starts lurching and jerking forward. What am I doing wrong? I should have just left it... :doh:

Help please!

So I think I've done the adjustment to the cam chain tensioner correctly but I believe when doing so I unearthed an issue with one of the spark plug wires so that will be my next try.

Crank it with the starter. the adjuster should be flush to slightly recessed as the engine turns, if it stops moving in and out you have gone too far in.

In the Haynes they say to adjust it by removing the spark plugs and rotating the engine anticlockwise so the slack in the cam chain is placed to the rear of the run of the chain. remove nut to adjuster, check to see if it's flush.

If not, turn the adjuster bolt till it is, rotate the engine anticlockwise to check that the setting remains correct.
Try when the bike hasn't ran for several hours, I've been told the setting will be off when hot.

Good Luck

Well it turns out I was doing my adjustments just fine! I was having spark plug/spark plug cable issues but that's all sorted out now! Thanks for the advice fellas!

Back