help! Pma, Boyer, mikuni new set up

willyt

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help! I am tearing my hair out and my legs are battered and bruised from all the kick starting!

I have recently rebuilt a xs2 motor and have put a xscharge PMA, Boyer bransden kit and VM Mikunis.

I have struggled setting the timing but think I have it pretty close. I marked TDC on the flange and worked out that 38degrees I think is full advance and that works out to about 45mm to the left of the TDC mark on my flange.

I am having some pretty severe back firing while trying to kick it over. It seems really hard to kick over as well.

I have only managed to get it started 2 times and won’t idle for long on full “choke” and cuts out and I can’t get it started again.

I have tried to set the carbs up but is really hard to adjust when I can’t even get it running long enough to adjust anything while running.

Any ideas??

Wish I had bought Hugh’s kit! Was too late before I read all the forums.

Attachments

• 0EFD6000-4A06-4FE8-B728-F7625F3064F7.jpeg
    0EFD6000-4A06-4FE8-B728-F7625F3064F7.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 147
  • FA578B5A-E1C3-4F73-91BD-6B6AFAD20354.jpeg
    FA578B5A-E1C3-4F73-91BD-6B6AFAD20354.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 157
Well if it were mine and backfiring and kicking hard; I'd retard the timing a bunch, start it, then look at it with a light after it's running. Have you set marked TDC with a piston stop?" I'd also want to confirm cam/crank timing.

I haven’t used a degree wheel while marking TDC but used a straw in the spark plug hole. I think I better do the degree wheel before I break my leg.

Any tips for setting pilot screw and idle for new Mikunis?

Ahh well I am possibly the biggest idiot. But went through and triple double checked everything and wasn’t getting enough fuel due to a kink in the hose and poor routing of my fuel line. Plus re-gapped and cleaned plugs. Running now so I can get adjusting, looks good so far and think my timing marks are good.
I need a beer.
Thanks for the tip, onto setting up the carbs now.

Back