help question

birdog4549

81 XS-H Special II
Reaction score
So the clutch adjusting nut is too tight to just back off and adjust. I am thinking I will need to pull the side off so I can hold whatever is in there and break the nut loose. when i try to move it it springs and I can't get any torque on the nut. I sprayed a little Kroil on it and needed to stop and compose myself so I don't screw up anything. am I on the right track?

squeezing and holding the clutch lever in sometimes helps, when you undo it without doing this the cable end can pop out so you may have to take it off anyway

On stubborn ones, I use a socket on a drywall screwgun. On the really stubborn ones, I remove the arm part from the worm gear assembly, clamp it in a vice, then use the screwgun on it. Sometimes you need that impact action to break it free. Once off, anti-seize the shit out of the screw and nut. They're just plain, unplated steel and have a tendency to corrode together (as you've discovered).

Here's how I did mine. Take the case cover off, take the cable out of the thing, remove the screws holding the thing on (which were loose, locktite on re-assembly), and remove the part with the screw and locknut. I then put that part on the burner of an electric stove which was red hot for a few minutes, and it came loose easily while it was hot.

Someone had tried to do it before by holding the gear part with pliers and messed it up some so I dressed it a little with a small file. While it's out, check the plastic part for cracks. They can crack in a way that's hard to see and it makes the lever not work too well. Only takes about an hour to do it all. Pack the gears with grease.

Back