Help... (sorry to be "that" guy) Fouled plugs. Ignition? Other? Worse?

Googled your shop. "Legion Moto Co." in Portland.. Great reviews for being growing local motorcyclist hangout! Shop/Lift space for riders, Mechanics near by. Even though in your XS's case it seems your "tuning" is not quite right yet, I look forward to visiting your shop idea.
If you do truly need local assistance, (besides me lol) ps: I have a good rotor/stator for your XS.. remember Gary @ Cycle Metrics. He is Goood
:cool:
Killer - I'm about to do some voltage testing. Seems like rotor / stator may be the root cause of my pain and suffering. Back at ya shortly :)

Those pleated filters have been known to cause problems with the CV carbs. Have you tried running the bike without them?
It used to have foam pods that were disintegrating ... I'll mess around with the foam pods / pleated filters / check. It doesn't appear that me swapping air intake filters makes much of a difference. It seems my problem is originating from somewhere else. BUT... I will keep this factor in mind as a possibility

@5twins @gggGary @Machine
- - - and a pic of the carbs etc if you care
View attachment 156473no jokes about my petcock being off plz I have it ON when the bike is running :)

And there they are!
Those pleated tapered tin-ended aftermarket air filters are ill-suited to the XS650's stock carbs, especially if they get dirty.
Toss the bastards and try a gentle ride to see what colour you plugs go.

I had/have a similar issue as you. See my thread as it might help you troubleshoot. I ended up getting a new rotor from Jim, moving my needle jet to the leanest position and built a new rec/reg for reliability sake. I also went one size up on the air jet. Bike seems to run nice now before tucking it away for the winter.

http://www.xs650.com/threads/another-fouled-plug-thread.54996/

Hope this helps. There is a lot of great help on this forum.

I'll mess around with the foam pods / pleated filters / check. It doesn't appear that me swapping air intake filters makes much of a difference.

TP take one filter off and look inside. It may obstruct jets. Uni pods do not obstruct. Looky at this pic. JC

65FD8B45-35A5-417D-B326-2C6B11C626B6.jpeg

Back