Help. Sounds like its flooding if i get on it.

SeattleUnderliner

2 wheels forever
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the boards. Thanks for having such a great resource.

Anyway. i just got my 1979 xs650 about a week ago. ive been doing mostly cosmetic changes to start with, since my bike is a one kick wonder.

yesterday i opened up the pipes in the back as so many have, and now it sounds like my bike is flooding if i get on the throttle hard. if i slowly roll on the power, i have no issues. its only if im revving my engine or trying to get on the throttle. its only for the first 1/4 to 1/8 of my throttle. if i can get through the rough spot it revs just fine.

ive tried messing with the idle mixture screw. (i think) the one on the side of the carb tucked under where the cable links to the carb. it is my understanding that since it is near the front of the carb it is adjusting the amount of gas/vapor that enters the engine. not actually adjusting the amount of air.

ive tried both 1/2 a turn from fully screwed in, to about 3 full turns out. all it does is slightly change where in the my 'dead spot' is. :doh:

help. do i really need to re-jet with such a minor change in back pressure? or can i use what i got and do some more adjustments.

Please help.

Perhaps a bit more info and another question.

It idols fine. No issues starting. Just when I open the throttle.

I asked this in the thread about opening the pipes.

In general, does it make the bike run leaner or richer by opening the pipes. I have never tried tuning carbs, so this is all new.

Opening the exhaust will lean a bike out. I'm sure the carb gurus will chime in shortly. BTW- have you used the search function to search the forums? I bet your question is asked and answered already.

Thanks. Yes i have searched and am starting to gather more and more helpful knowledge. I am mostly just totally new, and not sure how information i have read in the past relates to my problem.

I am glad to know that it has leaned out my bike. that is a very helpful thing to know. at least now i know which direction i am headed. Larger jet. right?

i know your name says seattle, but were exactly are you? im in shelton, and i can help. just bring some beers! sound like you just need a tweek of your idle mix, and a washer in your needle to richen it up a bit. do you still have the stock airboxes? if so this will work, but if you plan on open exhaust, I suggest converting your 34's to canadians, two turns out to get you running, then plug chops to fine tune it.

Im in down town seattle. I have pods not the original air box. the guy i bought the bike off of had it running well, but i think it can still be better.

so. today i opened up the carbs and set the main jet needle (the main one in the center of the carb) to the lowest notch. that my understanding of how to make it a bit richer without changing out the needle. i also have the idol screws at about 2 turns out. working well now, but i can tell it wants to back fire as im coasting or down shifting to slow.

I am going to check cam chain/ timing/ points and all that jazz as soon as i have a good afternoon to get dirty.

i really appreciate everyones help. i am so excited to get this thing running at its best.

cheers.

Back