Help with 78 special bs38 carbs please advise needed.

Pic 0353 above, is where the engine numbers should show, to the left on that flat behind the lower motor mount.
That motor shows no engine serial number that I see.
Out of curiosity, what shape is the left, front valve cover? Answer should be semi rectangular or round like the right front valve cover.
Yeah to my research I was also surprised to see no serial number there and then I found that some bikes has a number located behind the oil delivery tube and so that’s why I included that pic also. I will look at the valve cover in the morning.

Well, you do have the '78 type cam chain adjuster so I'm going to guess someone just changed out that right engine cover.

What you're describing (hard braking causing a stall) is often related to the float levels. In this case, they may be too low.
Ok thanks very much I will make sure to set the float levels I did not adjust them when taking the carbs apart. I definitely appreciate the advice. I can keep the bike going if I make sure to stay on the throttle so hopefully this is it.

Bird chirping noise on BS38 carbs is usually traced to a loose choke housing or the choke housing gasket being damaged. Both carbs have this housing. Another motor staller is a misfire, points type ignitions in less than stellar condition are more prone to an ocasional misfire.

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

The number behind the oil delivery tube is a head and rocker cover matching #, they are in place when the holes are machined in the head/cover. Using mismatched head/cover's will cause the seal to leak due to misalignment
mismatched_head_3.jpgmismatched_head_2.jpg
Cases are matched as well
newsle6.jpg

Back