help with my forks

Bobber 12

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 1979 hardtail that the former owner raked out and left the stock forks on well after laying it down twice last year i decided to tear it down and redo it my question is i have found extended fork on here but they are all for early bikes how hard would it be to convert my bike to the 34 mm tubes instead of the 35s? Or should i just quit being a cheap ass and buy new tubes from mikes?:banghead:

You turn your lower triple upside down and grind out the weld that holds the stem in then beat the stem out of the triple. Do the same with the early triple, swap stems and weld it back in. Done. The thing is the brakes won't fit either so then you have to go find good early brake calipers and the correct rotor, good luck with that. It's a lot simpler to wait for a 35mm set to show up here or on fleabay or go to Franks Engineering and get a set.
I guess if you aren't running a front brake that doesn't matter. The good news is you could sell your stock set up with a short stem because lots of guys WANT late model forks on their early bike.

Last edited:
I agree with Gary, Good luck finding a caliper(s) for the 34mm's, if you do, you'll pay the same or more than you could get a whole 35mm front end for!!! That's why I switched to 35's on mine...

Pandemonium just made a brembo bracket for the 34mms.....so the caliper issue can be easily solved if one's willing to run a 65mm gold series brembo caliper. In fact, I got on the phone with Dan and sent him my rotor so he'd hurry up with it. I don't have the rotor back yet, but it's the only solution I could come up with for brakes save from buying a whole new 35mm front end, since my factory 34mm caliper is shot. Not a bad solution though with a 4 piston brembo for stopping power.

I'd have gone with 35mms if I had to do it over again. Not enough aftermarket for the 34's and they're inferior to the 35s anyway. I can't even find a set of fork dust boots unless I buy from 650central and give MMM an extra $7 for not making a $150+ purchase.

Back