Help with no spark problem

james mackinnon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this topic has been posted before. I need help and possibly an explanation for a five year old. I am very ignorant with engines and youtube searches yield nothing helpful. I have a 75/76 xs650 engine stuffed into a 45 BSA frame, my problem is I get no spark. The engine came with a XS Performance Ignition Coil 3.3 Ohm XS650 1980-84 and fired up with one kick when I bought it. The engine sat for 5 months while I slowly fit it into my BSA frame and that is when the no spark trouble started. I replaced the coil with a new "green monster" as I've come to understand their nickname for crapping out when testing for spark via grounding a uninstalled spark plug ground to the exterior engine and possibly frying my pamco. Since then I have ordered a Ultimate High Output Ignition Coil. I have the lights wired up and working but still no spark. I've tested the new coil and pamco with this http://www.yamahaxs650.com/testing_the_pamco_and_coil.htm . Everything checks out ok except no spark on step 8. I have autolite 63 spark plugs and its running of a battery if that helps. Thank you in advance for helping out a cherry xs owner.

Back