Help with throttle stuck open

kiser1991

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys have a question, i juts replaced my handlebars and put my throttle body assembly back togther i didnt touch anything else and i kicked and kicked and kicked and kicked till finaly it fired up and reved to where i thought it was about to blow up. it has been a month sense i rode it last, i also forgot to turn the gas off last time any suggestions would be appreciated. i figure some one will say carb may be stuck if so is there a way to fix it with out taking ot off?

Check your throttle cable for binding.
Check your throttle linkage for binding or being pulled open.
Butterflies or slides open?
Are the bars a new set, meaning, are they of a different size/design?
Does your throttle "snap" back when it is released?
If the cable is too short, it can pull the linkage if so.

Alrighty i just went out and took the throttle assembly apart and 2 kicks and fired up at idle. i was looking at how it got bound up and the only thing i can figure is my new bars are just alittle taller so it must be putting it in a bind. so i guess im going to order a extended throttle cable, any one know where i can get one for a
2 into 1?

pull the tank and see if you can re-route it in a straighter line. my 71 did that after I put new cables on. wasn't full throttle, but wasn't right. only at full lock left.

pull the tank and see if you can re-route it in a straighter line. my 71 did that after I put new cables on. wasn't full throttle, but wasn't right. only at full lock left.

I checked that out but there was as much slack taken out that could be. i reallu need about 3 inch extention
20161101_175124.jpg

Back