Here we go, virgin XSer

surgence

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I'm new here and wanted to say hi! I'm gonna try and keep this post updated as I progress... we'll see how that goes!

Anyway my Yamaha adventures started with a friends dad wanting to sell his stock 1978 SR500. Having little experience with motorcycles I figured a 500cc, single piston bike would be the best to get started with (plus the price was right).

sr500-02.jpg

She was in such great shape that I didnt want to do any irreparable damage to the frame plus I love cafe racers so a new seat, cap to replace the battery, clipons, basically just simplify things and I was happy with her. :thumbsup:

sr500-01.jpg

I got my hands dirty with her and learned some basics that got me comfortable to move up the ladder! Unfortunately, right when I got the carb setup perfect she threw her chain and busted the casing under by the gear shifter! :banghead: I'm still in the process of getting her fixed...

But in the meantime I found a deal I couldnt pass up!

xs650-01.jpg

3 XS650s at about $250 each. Two were sitting in the guys shop and the third was outside collecting rust. Loaded them up and got them to a storage place. My garage can only handle one at a time for now. So I have to drive out and pull off parts of the other two when i need them. Needless to say I should have some stock parts going up in the classifieds soon!

When I get them to the storage place I really look them over and decide to take the 81 SH as it looks the cleanest engine-wise.

xs650-02.jpg

The wife and I loaded her up in my truck and got her home. Whats the first thing I do? Try and start her, what else?! I clean up the carbs, get some new fuel running through, pump in some new oil, and with a little help from my truck this was the result.

Not too bad for sitting in a shed for some time! :D

After hearing her idle for 5mins straight and revving to a very nice level it was time to tear her down and take out the engine...

xs650-03.jpg

Done and done... of course lifting that engine out and onto my work table by myself made me feel like I was competing in the Worlds Strongest Man competition! I'd like to think I'd place third.

There's more but that will come in the posts to follow! Its saturday, I cant be wasting all this time typing about working on her! Stay tuned and its good to be here!

Nice find!:thumbsup: I wish the were more of them around my area...The one I found here local was also to nice for me to hack up.. Just got back from about a 70 mile ride on it just now...

Welcome aboard---You got a fantastic buy, and one runs!---You will find a lot of people here with a lot of knowledge and willing to share it---Sounds like you have got the bug, better build another garage---See ya tim

Nice find!:thumbsup: I wish the were more of them around my area...The one I found here local was also to nice for me to hack up.. Just got back from about a 70 mile ride on it just now...

Thanks! And what part of AR you from? I used to live in Fayetteville and Siloam Springs.

So I got my hands on an old frame and started slicing and dicing.

xs650-05.jpg

Also sheared off the tank tabs and test fitted the new tank.

xs650-06.jpg

So far so good! I'm hoping that by the end of July I'll have at least a rideable bike. We'll see what happens... Should have the hardtail in in about two days. Then its finding a welder. That shouldnt be too difficult, but I will have to plan out where I need tabs fabricated so I can get the welding done all in one trip.

Progress is progress! Not gonna hit my "end of July" deadline, but that seems to be the standard!

Test fitting the hardtail...
xs650-07.jpg

Got her welded in, now to mock up some of the look...
xs650-08.jpg

I think its time for a bigger garage!
xs650-09.jpg

Things have been going smoothly! I have to pick up some washers for the spacing issue on the rear axle, but other than that I'm pleased. As I'm piecing her together I am realizing that I need to get more parts than I thought! Maybe even try and learn some welding myself. Stay tuned... more building to come.

xs650-09.jpg

You need to clean up your garage before you wife sees the mess! lol.

Progress is good, especially as hot as it has been... Thanks goodness for A/C in my shop or I wouldn't get anything done this guys Camaro I'm working on....

She's starting to get suspicious because I'm volunteering to do the laundry.... I think I'll take a day out to clean it back up a bit! :p

um, we are going to need the rest of that 1st pic, you know, to make sure it is really you, and not some nigerian scammer.

Thanks guys, thats my goregous wife and soon to be mother of my first kid! :D

Lucky Man! Congratulations on the kid!... I got two daughters my oldest is starting college this year and my youngest will be a 8th grader this year... Cherish the years because they will start flying bye....

Back