Memory Lane

Almost left the broken piece in place, since it's in the "open" or stand up mode. Found a 20+ year old new OEM. Will use that until it dies, then remove it if I have to, but I have been known to forget to kick up the kickstand.

These bikes... at least mine... don't much mind the stand bein' left down. They just kinda shrug it off and press on.

Sidestand Blues... ;)

New neutral safety switch and repaired side stand now in place. Spring was a right bastard. Read all the posts I could find about how to stretch the sucker and add spare change spacers. Problem was getting them IN the spring. Watched the spring pull the bathroom door shut and had a flash. Made a fulcrum out of a spare hinge and a barn door latch, Spring slipped on perfectly. Getting the nickles OUT was a tad more of an issue, but that's done now as well.

1710641644067.png
1710641691182.png

New neutral safety switch and repaired side stand now in place. Spring was a right bastard. Read all the posts I could find about how to stretch the sucker and add spare change spacers. Problem was getting them IN the spring. Watched the spring pull the bathroom door shut and had a flash. Made a fulcrum out of a spare hinge and a barn door latch, Spring slipped on perfectly. Getting the nickles OUT was a tad more of an issue, but that's done now as well.

View attachment 264153 View attachment 264154
And now I have another problem. Posted this question over on another side stand thread as well. Discovered I left off the lock washer. Anyone got a good clear shot of the '83 version with the crimping lock washer installed?

Yes! Against all odds, we haz title!

Can't remember whether I mentioned the title saga:
  • Resto garage near Carlisle PA sold Rusty about ten years ago -- a project bike the owner didn't get around to.
  • The new owner also never got around to doing anything with her, and now he has Parkinsons Disease. So Rusty's been sitting in his shed in dry storage, tank and carbs drained, out of the weather, but nothing done to her for a decade.
  • When we bought her, previous owner said he had a clear title, which is true, however it wasn't in his name. Just filled in on the back. He never took the title to DMV and registered her in his name. OR paid the taxes. Now he's not in good enough shape for a trip to DMV to clean up the mess.
  • Found the resto garge on FB and contacted the owner. He agreed to get a duplicate title for her (I might have whined and wheedled a bit. And sent a certified check made out to PA DMV).
Boittom line, we had the bike and a bill of sale for the last two months, but no title. Hence not even trying to start her -- until she's legally ours she's a lot of parts in bins.

Garage owner was true to his word, and today the title came! Hit DMV -- with NO LINE -- just as the eclipse started. Now have a brand new WV title, registration, license plate, and Dairyland Insurance Certificate.

Next, attach fuel lines, add gas, and see if we can get her started. Not today, though. That event needs it's own special anniversary.

Unrelated: Rusty's named Rusty not becasue she was rusty, but becasue of the dried blood where I knoked my nose into her frame. Bill poked at it and said, "She's rusty."

I have one of these T-handled spring pullers. It makes removing and installing the sidestand spring pretty easy .....

View attachment 264279

https://www.ebay.com/itm/395105067105
I keep looking at this, but I still hasn't ordered it, cause I don't think I'm strong enough to make it work. Likely end up have to get grandson to do it. Grandson wouldn't care -- 23 and fresh out the Marines -- but I hate failing. Plus I'd have to get him to stay still for 90 seconds.

Back