Memory Lane

Oh crap! That's not good. Guess I'll stick with my glass fuses. Thanks for sharing -- before I melted something down.
I'm not buying it. Glass fuses, they've been..........you know. Besides, the only fuse I've ever blown on a bike is one of those Honda 30 amp dog bones and that was because of age and corrosion. I buy the quality blade fuses not the cheap soft vinyl ones.

@Shelby, there's no need to be put off blade fuses entirely just because there's millions of cheap ones which don't blow at the advertised amps. The same consideration applies to cheap Chinese glass fuses as well. It seems that for cheapness churning them out, all the fuses share the same high-amp filament? Naughty! The message is to buy good ones, known make, perhaps one the car manufacturers use.

I've added that plug on two bikes. I may add it to two more. Send me your harness and I'll wire it to yours.
Thanks so much! Right now I'm waiting on a new glass fuse holder I found on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO7HZU). Got a batch of fuses from Mikes. Since I'm not far along on the cleaning/inspecting to try starting her yet, I'm not really sure if there's any other wiring issues. Brake light was working, and now it's not. Possibly because the front brake cable's disconnected so I could get the fender off. Gave some thought to replacing the wiring harness just to be safe, but I'm discovering a lot of things I could get in the late 90s have gone permanently out of stock, at least on Babbit's, Mike's, and Partzilla.

That wasn’t meant to scare you away from blade fuses. I think they’re a great improvement over the glass ones. I did make sure I bought some good ones and replaced them.
returning the new fuse holder. Too big/bulky and the posts don't stay put. Kinda like the idea of inlines. Less to figure out where to fit. Can wait till after the rear end's reassembled.

And much cleaning was done. Let there be pics.
1708731264301.png
1708731319217.png
1708731375939.png
1708731613539.png

That is looking really good. Nice job cleaning up the chrome bits.
Thanks! I'll pass that along. Bill's an old hand at chrome. Cleaned and painted the undersides as well. No notable rust, but she looked kinda like she ran over wet tar in her younger days. Not true undercoating, just... yuck. The aluminum's a bit more of a problem. Some odd "snowflakes" -- some sort of splatter? -- kinda crazed into the surfaces a few places. May ignore and chalk up to battle scaring.

???? (Cleaned up version -- you know that's not what I typed first...)
1708873223168.png

Doesn't look like a thrown chain (without a chain guard). All I can think is someone took the chain guard off at some point and... put it back wrong? Then... fixed it later... but did nothing to try to clean up the scarring? There's some minor wear on the chrome, but that would likely be because steel's a lot harder than aluminum. Going to try to smooth out the back edge of the crank case a bit. Doesn't really show unless you're looking at the chain guard close, but it's still not right.

???? (Cleaned up version -- you know that's not what I typed first...)
View attachment 262478
Doesn't look like a thrown chain (without a chain guard). All I can think is someone took the chain guard off at some point and... put it back wrong? Then... fixed it later... but did nothing to try to clean up the scarring? There's some minor wear on the chrome, but that would likely be because steel's a lot harder than aluminum. Going to try to smooth out the back edge of the crank case a bit. Doesn't really show unless you're looking at the chain guard close, but it's still not right.
If you can find the chicken lips (lower side covers) that bit will be covered up and virtually invisible. I have the lower frame covers that they slide into and will gladly donate them to the cause.

Back