Heritage frame bracket identification

Dune19670

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
01A37FD9-4FAC-4881-BFD9-0AD5BA0E8855.jpeg
hi everyone
Im wondering what the 2 large brackets are on the bottom L/H side, that stick out under the engine ??
I can only assume it once held a side stand switch ( removed ) ??
Please see photo
Also the side stand has a metal sheild on it, where early models don’t??

Thankyou Gary but what does the big bit of plate do ( top of the highlighted area ) and can i cut it off

Chop away! from REM61's post today
frame_2-jpg.135990

not there on an 81 special. so only for that switch.

Yes, it's for the sidestand switch. Cut it off if you aren't going to use the switch anymore. I took mine off. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another electrical doodad that could crap out, and they have been known to. What makes things particularly bad with this safety switch is that it acts upon and kills the ignition, so if it goes bad, you lose spark. The only good thing about that plate on the frame is that it holds a rubber bumper used as a sidestand stop, but you could still cut most of the plate off ......

tWYIRuM.jpg

Kr1DZAx.jpg

That length of plate on the sidestand itself could be cut off as well. You could also trim down the spring post bracket quite a bit. Or you could do as I did and substitute an earlier stand and spring post bracket for those late model monstrosities .....

04ypiqc.jpg

Thankyou for your in-depth reply 5Twins, as always very informative
Out with the disc cutter tomorrow

To do away with the sidestand switch, you simply need to remove it AND it's relay. No jumper wires are needed but if you don't remove the relay too, the bike will only run in neutral.

Sp7Ct9O.jpg

6a0usoz.jpg

Back