Heritage wheels on 81 Special?

user12651

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 XS650 Special with alloy mags and would like to switch them out to spokes. My rear mag wheel has a drum brake so I'd like to stick with a drum spoked rear.

Will the Heritage spoked wheels w/ drum rear (same year) bolt on without too much modification? Mods aren't a problem though; I can handle that.

Thanks for any information.

I have an 81 XS650 Special with alloy mags and would like to switch them out to spokes. My rear mag wheel has a drum brake so I'd like to stick with a drum spoked rear.

Will the Heritage spoked wheels w/ drum rear (same year) bolt on without too much modification? Mods aren't a problem though; I can handle that.

Thanks for any information.

Pretty much a direct swap there maybe some spacer differences.

There are no spacer differences. This is a direct swap. I just went the opposite way. I took the SK spokes off, and put the SH mags on. There are no stumbling blocks in this swap.

BTW, the Heritage Specials were made for the '82 & '83 (SJ & SK) model years. In 1981 there was the XS650SH Special and the XS650H Special II. Still, the wheels on all the bikes I just listed mix and match with no modifications to your motorcycle or the wheels themselves.

Last edited:
Back