Hi folks

Moritz

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, that´s my new love. Greetings from Berlin.

Attachments

• 2014-10-25 13.52.36.jpg
    2014-10-25 13.52.36.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 223
Hi Moritz and welcome,
that's the original Berlin or one of the dozen or so Berlins in the USA?
We used to have a Berlin in Ontario but for some strange reason it changed it's name to Kitchener back in 1914.

Thanks for the welcome,

it´s Berlin Germany. Kitchener is a cool name, too! :) Sounds german aswell ... Why not?!
The Bike was registered first in 1982. That makes it production year 81, I guess?! It´s a 447 serialnumber ... wiki says those were build up to 79 only (?). I´m a bit confused about that. ;) Early eighties will do.
I´m quite excited, didn´t have a bike for a couple of years because I was too busy working and raising kids. There are still the kids and a lot of work ... BUT ... I just got to.

So long.

- - - it´s Berlin Germany. Kitchener is a cool name, too! :) Sounds German as well ... Why not?!
The Bike was registered first in 1982. That makes it production year 81, I guess?! It´s a 447 serialnumber ... wiki says those were build up to 79 only (?). I´m a bit confused about that. ;) - - -

Hi Moritz,
Kitchener was given it's new name by German settlers who wanted to distance themselves from the Fatherland during WW1.
There's a reported conversation from those times:-
Kaiser Wilhelm:- The English fight like lions.
Military advisor:- Yes, but they are led by donkeys.
General Kitchener was one of those donkeys.
But about your bike. The photo suggests that it is a late 1970's model.
(Side-hinged seat instead of a lift-off seat, steel side covers instead of plastic, aluminum rim wire wheels instead of 7-spoke cast wheels, etc.)
Perhaps it sat in a dealer's showroom for some while before it was sold and registered?

Hi guys,

ok there we go, probably a late 70s model sold in europe. Makes sense.

I´m not too firm in german history of that period. Actually the german emporer was the son of the princess of england and ireland and the grandson of queen victoria (!). The german and english royals were really close (more or less one family) until the first WW. The english even had to change during wwI battenberg to mountbatten. Quite funny I think.
But the kaiser beeing a relative of the british royals explains why he was so respectfull towards the english ... and well, his advisors obviously sucked advising him to start WWI. ;) sadly it took two lost ww for the germans to realize how badly war sucks in general. Maybe this might help americans to understand why germany didn´t participate in the iraq-wars ... in spite of the gratefulness towards the us for defeating the nazis, rebuilding germany with the marshall-plan and bringing democracy.
OK, enough history and politics for a biker forum. :bike:

Happy first advent to everybody!

Hi guys,

ok there we go, probably a late 70s model sold in europe. Makes sense.

I´m not too firm in german history of that period. Actually the german emporer was the son of the princess of england and ireland and the grandson of queen victoria (!). The german and english royals were really close (more or less one family) until the first WW. The english even had to change during wwI battenberg to mountbatten. Quite funny I think.
But the kaiser beeing a relative of the british royals explains why he was so respectfull towards the english ... and well, his advisors obviously sucked advising him to start WWI. ;) sadly it took two lost ww for the germans to realize how badly war sucks in general. Maybe this might help americans to understand why germany didn´t participate in the iraq-wars ... in spite of the gratefulness towards the us for defeating the nazis, rebuilding germany with the marshall-plan and bringing democracy.
OK, enough history and politics for a biker forum. :bike:

Happy first advent to everybody!

I'm betting its an 1981 or 1982 model.:)

Back