Hi I'm RustRob, just got an XS650.

Rustrob

KiwiXS
Reaction score
First time on the site and love it. Names Rob I live in New Zealand in about the most remote place you could imagine. Owned several bikes over the years but being older and wiser ( Yea Right :doh: ) decided the XS 650 was the way to go in my retirement.
Picked up a 78 XS 650 D although I suspect it may be a 77 going by the Frame & engine number.
Since I've been looking at this amazingly informative and helpful site I have learnt to fix a oil leaking head gasket without going to the trouble of actually removing the head, a tacho drive oil leak, the little tip about making sure the drive spindle stays in place was invaluable. You sure can't beat learning from other peoples experience. Thankyou to all those clued up members out there. And this is only the beginning.:thumbsup:

First time on the site and love it. Names Rob I live in New Zealand You sure can't beat learning from other peoples experience.
Welcome Rob,
Experience comes from making mistakes, no one can make them all, altho' some of us have tried,
frame and engine number will tell the story, state side the 77 started with 447-700101 and the 78's were 2FO-000101, overseas models (Oceania) were 1E5 for the 77.... if you have any doubts post your number ABC-123XXX and someone will have a answer

Yes, by the time we reach retirement, we finally have the wisdom to know which bike is the best:D.

I don't think Taranaki is so remote.................I could probably get there in 20 hours via a jet plane, if Canada had any jet planes:wink2: Canadians are slow to change, but I think we are finally ready to phase out our propeller planes for those new fangled jet jobs:laugh:

welcome Rob, Lots of good stuff here. lived the first 32 years under the mountain and still miss it today

Welcome Rob,
Experience comes from making mistakes, no one can make them all, altho' some of us have tried,
frame and engine number will tell the story, state side the 77 started with 447-700101 and the 78's were 2FO-000101, overseas models (Oceania) were 1E5 for the 77.... if you have any doubts post your number ABC-123XXX and someone will have a answer
Thanks for the welcome. Yea I've made a few mistakes, the important thing is to learn from them and don't repeat them.
Engine & frame No is 447724328 which I guess would make the bike 1977 however the front fork legs are 34 mm and the single disc is on the left and two piston caliper is in front of the fork. If anyone can explain that to me it would be appreciated greatly. Happy riding and keep the black things on the road.

welcome Rob, Lots of good stuff here. lived the first 32 years under the mountain and still miss it today
Thanks for the welcome. If you are ex Taranaki you will know then when I mention that I live the other side of Whangamomona what i mean when I say that I live remote and of cause that it is the best motorcycle road in New Zealand. If you ever come home for a visit try it out.

Thanks for the welcome. Yea I've made a few mistakes, the important thing is to learn from them and don't repeat them.
Engine & frame No is 447724328 which I guess would make the bike 1977 however the front fork legs are 34 mm and the single disc is on the left and two piston caliper is in front of the fork. If anyone can explain that to me it would be appreciated greatly. Happy riding and keep the black things on the road.
Well 35 years gives plenty of time for things to be swapped around, might have been crashed and newer forks from the breakers, definitely a upgrade tho'

You would have your own passport for the republic then :thumbsup:

74TXA and 75XSB have the caliper, (single disks), mounted in front of the 34mm forks, 76XSC have 34mm forks with the calipers, (twin discs), mounted behind the forks, 77 should have 35mm forks that basically were the same till the end of the XS650 run in 83

Check out the Aussie 650 cub site and here is the link to the differences in the models that came out here to Aus and NZ

Back