Hid headlight question

Bigzakdaddy

chopper haters beware!!
Reaction score
Can an automotive hid system be used on an Xs? I wired up one I had laying around and think it may be the reason my bike is acting crazy. Stalling, charging issues...

Thanks in advance

I run an auto kit on my bike with no problems. IIRC, HID kits draw less amperage than a halogen headlight. are you running a PMA as well?

edit: I run a 35W system

Last edited:
55w HID units have a bad tendency of frying wiring on newer bikes/new bikes. Something with the ballast drawing too much power (i know this seems counter intuitive but that's how its been explained to me from a HID light rep) Not sure on the xs. I run a 35w AGT mini HID on my raider and eventually plan on running one on the wife's xs.

What's the raider forum?

Turns out, the ballast I was using was drawing soo much juice, it was creating excessive heat in the rotor causing a charging short, which let to stalling and all that happy horse shit. Removed, bike no longer a diva.

curious...what is generator ping? I have a 03 marauder(suzi) ide like to do this too, so im asking.

The how to you put up was written for my Raider. I'm a member on that forum. HID do funny things to generators. On my raider it draws less than the original headlight but causes the generator to make noise but only at idle. I can fix it with load equalizers or by adding draw to the system.

With the xs, I'd be very scared to put a 55W system in. Some of those fry out the wiring harness on Star's current bikes.

Back