headlight

winguyjo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
i am now down to (hopefully) the last electrical issue on this new-to-me 1981 xs650 special.

headlight ... i have 3 wires unaccounted for inside the headlight ... "large" yellow with male bullet end, "small" yellow with male bullet end and green with male bullet end. with the key on, engine NOT running i have neither voltage or ground at any of these wires. does the headlight only get power with the engine running ? where does the headlight get it's ground from ?

note : i don't want to start the engine because the oil is drained, and the side covers are off; awaiting parts.

thanks in advance.

Yeah, the engine needs to be running or at least an attempt to start it for the headlight to come on.
There's a plug that fixes on to the headlight, you should find the matching colors there, large yellow and green.....might find a black ground there too. Small yellow? Might be, I say might be a link to the rear tail light.
Look in the tech section for the colored schematic. "Some wiring diagrams" by INXS
I will be corrected if necessary.

Yeah, the engine needs to be running or at least an attempt to start it for the headlight to come on.
There's a plug that fixes on to the headlight, you should find the matching colors there, large yellow and green.....might find a black ground there too. Small yellow? Might be, I say might be a link to the rear tail light.
Look in the tech section for the colored schematic. "Some wiring diagrams" by INXS
I will be corrected if necessary.
this bike didn't come with a headlight, nor a connector for it, but now knowing that it only works with engine running is a big help, thanks.

Back