Hidden front master cylinder

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
I am working on a project to use a front disc brake but hide the master cylinder on the bike and operate it with a cable pull lever like the clutch side. I remember seeing this done somewhere?

Anyone try this? Maybe use a rear master and build a belcrank lever to attach the cable to. I see after market units that already have a simlar set up available. I wonder what the mechanical advantage points will be, lever lenght, belcrank, cable travel needed? Maybe use a front master monuted somewhere back on the frame and build a device that activates the brake lever from the bar mounted lever?

Haven't tried it myself but read through a thread where a few guys did. And it wasn't good, by the time you get the force through all the bell cranks, cables, bushings, what ever you would be better off with a drum brake because the disk has no feel. BMW actually had a stock set up like that, a cable to a master cylinder, it also (reportedly) sucked eggs for feel. I have thought a good designer/engineer could build the master and reservoir inside the handlebar.

Back