High Altitude Carb Settings

coughing skunk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've always been intrigued by the differences in power that air density makes. I've got a n/a impreza that I drove back to NY a couple of years ago from Colorado and what a difference sea level made when comparing butt dyno runs. Makes me wonder what my bike would do at sea level with proper jetting!

I bought my bike with the current carb setup and I've been curious to find out what others are running as far as jet sizes go. I was surprised when I tore my carbs apart the first time to find that the jetting was quite a bit smaller than on sea level bikes with similar setups. The jetting on mine seems appropriate with no issues in power delivery throughout the entire RPM range. Hell, it even kick over first start in the cold.

Anyways, to those of you that live at a high elevation, lets see your carb settings!

Elevation: 5003 ft
Bike: 73 tx650, stock internals, p & p'd head, stock exhaust headers with aftermarket copies of Sporster mufflers with no baffles, pma, pamco, tc bros billet carb holders, k&n pods

Carbs: VM34's
Main Jet: 170
Pilot: 20
Needles: 6F9
Needle Jets: P6
Needle clip: 3rd from top

How does it run? Like a bat outta hell. Faster than my roommates c50 granted that bike is a pig.

Last edited:
bs34's
140 mains
stock needles
1 size up from stock on pilots(forgot)
pod filters and full length exhaust without baffles. PMA and pamco.
my bike runs great in Denver, but runs lean when I go down to sea level.

Back