Hit a deer

gordonscott

XS650exhaust.com
Reaction score
Rode over 900mi in four days to Pa and NY no problem, just 5mi from home and the friggin thing (buck) jumped right out in front of me from my left side :cussing: This was on my dl1000 rig and had my wife with me too. About $2,500 in damage but we were not hurt :wink2: Oh well just have to file this under the "shit happens" catagory :shrug: It's mating season now and they are all running around crazy so be carefull out there :bike:

Damn.. glad you're both okay. Did you go down? Were you able to ride it home? Got pics?

Sorry to hear that, I had a similar near miss a few weeks back, though they are probably slightly smaller over here.

He must have liked the look of one of you...

I got rear ended near Cincinnati about the same time. But no damage, in fact it felt like the lightest push you can imagine. First rain in 6 mos so the streets are slippery as ice. Beginning of rush hour. I was going through a green light when a guy makes a right on red in front of me. I get on the brakes a little. His plan is to gun it to make up for pulling out while I'm so close, but he fishtails. Soon as I see him fishtail I'm on the brakes harder, thinking oh shit. He over corrects like a newb and ends up half on the sidewalk. No problem so far but I hear sliding tires behind me. Plenty of time to gun it and get out of there, but I don't know what the guy in front of me is going to do :) I was slowing down as gradually as I could to give anybody behind time to stop. Finally I felt the lightest tap on my tire or something and the guy in front was fully stopped, so I just went on around.

Like practically every bad situation you'll find yourself in, it could have been completely avoided by going slower, even though I wasn't going fast.

Worst time I had with deer was in Wyoming. I was there climbing Devils Tower in September '07. My buddy and I had 3 very near misses, (where all our gear shot off the back seat), and saw literally hundreds of deer. Not to mention the fox, turkeys, horses. That was quite a trip. Beautiful country though!

Worst time I had with deer was in Wyoming. I was there climbing Devils Tower in September '07. My buddy and I had 3 very near misses, (where all our gear shot off the back seat), and saw literally hundreds of deer. Not to mention the fox, turkeys, horses. That was quite a trip. Beautiful country though!

Funny, wife and I went through the same thing after climbing Devils Tower (Bon Homme route) in September like in 04 or 05 though. Hard to believe they were worse than in Wisconsin. Never hit one on a bike yet but been close enough to hear their little hoofies scrabbling.
Glad you weren't hurt GS

Last edited:
Back