'hobby expenses' on your tax return...

deadchef

xsbobblehead
Reaction score
i know, the last thing i should be doing is asking for tax advice on a motorcycle forum. i just wanted to see if anyone else claims any expenses from their 'hobbies' on their tax return. i was going through the h&r block tax return program last night and there is a spot in itemized deductions for hobby expenses. i've never claimed anything before...

I use an accountant, lol. I am my own boss, so there is a lot of things I can't understand. I do itemize because of my work expenses. Especially being Inc.
I don't think you can claim hobbies as they are not a form of income or used for business.
The main thing with itemizing is what it is for, if you spend a certain amount, your deduction level and if your spouse does, how you file (jointly/separately), ect. It can get tricky.
Like if I file separately, and my wife itemizes, then I have to as well. I can't claim a standard deduction if she itemizes. It's some weird stuff and an expert is the best person to ask.

yes of course you can claim those expenses. If you earn money from your hobby/hobbies then strictly speaking it is classed as income and you should declare it be taxed and all legitimate expenses can be claimed.
Naturally if you do then you'll need to register the fact that you are self employed in addition to your regular job.

If you are sensible you can usually work a few personal expenses into your business as long as you have receipts and it is a reasonable amount especially cash purchases.

if your expenditure exceeds your income loans savings and overdraft then the IRS are likely to want to know how you managed to afford buying them ..!

There are a lot of legitimate expenses that self employed neglect to claim especially if they occasionally work from home things like improvements and repairs to place of work, expenses of a cleaner, laundry rent and rates of a shared toilet and kitchen in your home etc etc :D

My understanding is hobby expenses are not deductible.
Gambling losses are and I guess that could be a hobby.
Anyho back to deductibles IF you are audited and have several years of deficits for your hobby you better have a business plan that will show (on paper at least) that you intend and can make profit. Very dicey for small operation meat producers. . . . .

peanut yes costs and repairs to a section of the home used for business are deductible.
But it has to be separate from the home. Separate entry way and a defined space closed off (a doorway counts as separate) from the normal household area. So a bathroom unless available to the general public wouldn't qualify. But improvements and repairs can be deducted from the capitol gains at the time of the sale of the home.

disclaimer: this is just my simple understanding of the rules and as the public school system and I parted ways at an early age should be taken with a grain of salt.

This is a county specific question.

I work for myself. I can tie my classic Bike, (XS650), and associated costs if i use it for my business. If i have my business name on the side panels and use the bike to meet clients to give quotes or as transport to a business related conference or show.

I can claim costs if i travel to a bike meet, ( Don't tell them this was the purpose), as long as i can prove i have made contact with a business related firm/person, all i really need to do is go into a related business and talk about some products and grab some brochures and a card.

Travel expenses can be claimed as well, Motels/fuel and any maintenance or repairs to the bike.

2 scenarios;
1, claim a percentage of deductions as a percentage of the use of the bike for the business.
2, Claim 100 percent.

Here we don't have a capital gains tax on our own home that we live in. Buy it for $1000.00 and as long as we keep it for 12 months minimin the we can sell it for $100,000.00 and the profit is not taxed.

If i was to claim a percentage of the house as work related against my tax, (say 10% of running costs/maintainance), then when i sell my house, (there is a sliding scale depending on the length of ownership), i am Taxed on any capital gains to the value i have claimed against my Tax.

Eg; The $99,000.00 profit on the sale of my house after 12 months would incur a tax of $9,900.00

My understanding is hobby expenses are not deductible.
Gambling losses are and I guess that could be a hobby.
Anyho back to deductibles IF you are audited and have several years of deficits for your hobby you better have a business plan that will show (on paper at least) that you intend and can make profit. Very dicey for small operation meat producers. . . . .

peanut yes costs and repairs to a section of the home used for business are deductible.
But it has to be separate from the home. Separate entry way and a defined space closed off (a doorway counts as separate) from the normal household area. So a bathroom unless available to the general public wouldn't qualify. But improvements and repairs can be deducted from the capitol gains at the time of the sale of the home.

disclaimer: this is just my simple understanding of the rules and as the public school system and I parted ways at an early age should be taken with a grain of salt.

sorry rider but this is not my experience

I have been self employed for 45 years both as a sole trader and later as a Company Director of 3x Limited Companies employing up to 27 employees. I have on many occasions submitted my own accounts to Companies House HMCE ,...VAT returns and Corporation tax!.

You can claim partial tax relief on expenses for any part of your home provided you run your business from home or use your home for any part of running your business which obviously includes book keeping and financial aspects .I have done so for the past 45 years up until my retirement in 2009

The rooms you use do not have to be separate or dedicated to business use .You should claim a reasonable proportion of the use pro rata so if you work an 8 hour day then you should claim half of the expense for that period ie 1/2 of 1/3rd ie half of 24 hrs divided by 3 because the facility is also in use by members of your household and visitors. Its a question of being reasonable and applying commonsense.

As for availabilty to the Public ...nonsense...There are many types of business that have no visiting customers and no provision is needed nor provided, or used by customers .
Remember we are talking about private business not Public Service buildings and services like Museums and public toilets .:wink2:

When it comes to hobbies you should take advice about when income from them is classified as 'Income' if you sell your car to upgrade obviously that is not classified as taxable income but if you frequently buy bikes to restore /repair with a view to selling them then that is classed as taxable income whether you make a loss or profit it must be declared.

The key to this is to be sensible. You obviously cannot claim more expenses that your turnover otherwise the IRS will say '
well how did you manage to spend 20,000 dollars in your business when according to you your business only turned over 17,500 dollars ???? .Naturally you could claim there are bad debts and you run an overdraft at the bank and your family lent you money to keep you afloat but eventually it will catch up with you .
The other question they will ask is
'Well if you claim to have made a loss this year of $x dollars how did you manage to buy food pay the rent and live ? you clearly haven't earnt enough to live.!'
They are not stupid. provided your annual returns do not trigger any warning bells then the chances are you'll not get audited and your figures will be accepted by the HMCE IRS etc

Last edited:
Different countries will have different Tax laws so England, US or Australia are all going to be different.

Pretty obvious that to claim more than you earn is not going to wash no matter where you live, but when it comes to the laws relating to how a private home is used for business and how it can be claimed against tax will surly be different in our home countries.

As in your country Peanut, we to can claim a portion of the house, Office or shed, if it is used for work related business,. Doesn't have to be detached, The point is , is it worth claiming if the capital gain on the family home out strips the gain from claiming against tax. Can end up being in the negative because our family home, (if owning more than one house, one can still deemed the family home or place of residence), are exempt from capital gains. Any tax claim then deems that part of the house subject to capital gains that in turn will be taxed as income if the house is sold.

yep its a minefield all right :(

I've probably stretched the envelope a bit over the years lol.

Yes you do need to consider the capital gains aspect if you are a property owner but like a lot of folk in Europe I rented so it wasn't of concern to me . :wink2:

peanut putting the differences of countries aside.
During that 45 years was it a "hobby" business?
Said another way a sideline business? Not your main income.

Over here, about 30-35 years ago, the IRS clamped down hard on the 'business use the home' and 'hobby expenses'. Then, about 10-15 years ago came the 'kinder/gentler IRS'.

I found it best that when traversing a minefield, get a demolitions expert, especially one that's been on the minelaying team...

peanut putting the differences of countries aside.
During that 45 years was it a "hobby" business?
Said another way a sideline business? Not your main income.

yes at various times in my life a hobby or personal interest has resulted in me earning additional income . When it resulted in me buying and selling hobby items on a regular basis then I declared it as additional income, claimed expenses and was taxed on it.

If a hobby generates regular income then it is income no matter where you are in the World . It could be buying an old bike restoring it and selling it . Once could be claimed as a hobby or personal purchase but if you have lots of old bikes and buy and sell throughout the year The proceeds are taxable, whether you make a profit or a loss, the inland revenue want to know about it.:(

As Twomany says it is worth taking professional advice on tax issues. The IRS can go back many years through your financial affairs if they wish to .

When i first went into business I had a visit from the Customs and Excise dept one year. A very nice Gentleman went through my accounts with a fine tooth comb and he was in my place of business (home) for 2x days . You would not believe how anal and thorough they are.!

Pretty obvious that to claim more than you earn is not going to wash no matter where you live,

I agree but we would probably be surprised at how many small businesses do.
The most common mistake apparently is not leaving sufficient income or drawings for self to live on.

The IRS know from stats how much it costs for average folk to live pay rent rates mortgage food utilities etc etc .

If your accounts /PAYE don't show enough personal income to meet these stats on reasonable living expenses then your accounts get flagged and pulled for closer inspection. :wtf:

Back