Hobby Plasma Cutter

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Some time back, I bought this plasma cutter. based on reports from others here.

I haven't used it a lot and when I do, I can't get it to cut for more than a few seconds before the arc goes out.

I suspect it's probably Operator Error, but I wonder if anyone can point me to either A)what's wrong with my technique, or B)what settings affect arc stability.

Duty cycle.......it has a duty cycle of 60% at an efficiency of 85% at 40 amps.......Also has a heat safety cut out switch........

The plasma cutter wingdings could be small gauge or aluminum and this will affect how long the machine can work.........Bought a cheap welder and was told they weren't that good but i foolishly thought that because the job didn't require continuous welding i would be ok..........aluminum internal windings, meant the machine would cut out after no more than 30 sec of welding then i had to wait for it to cool down, (several min), then another 30 sec welding.............finished the job eventually and the welder went to the tip.....

The duty cycle is a count of 10....... 60% duty cycle at 40 amps means the cutter should work for 6 min and rest for 4 min being used at 40 amps..........at 50 amps that 60% would drop a lot lower, (doesn't state in the add so cant tell), and also the efficiency rate would drop as well.............power supply also has an effect on the manufactures claim of duty cycle and also manufactures claims are usually on the high side.

If the cutting amps are dropped to 20 amps the duty cycle will rise and could be as high as 80/90%.........Again no stats in the add......

This information should be in the paper that comes with the welder.

https://weldinganswers.com/understanding-duty-cycle/

As an example; Bought a portable welder, choice of 2 was a 130 amp and 170 amp, Both run of the single phase household power),

130 amp has a 5% duty cycle at 120 amps......25% at 50 amps..................

.Bought this one:
170 amp welder; 130 amps at 60% and 80 amps at 100%. as most of my welding would be in the 80-100amp range and not ever having very long continuous welding situation, the duty cycle was plenty.

Have you looked up Cut 50 Plasma Cutter Problems on UTube? The following was interesting:

I have seen other problems relating to the cutting head so you may need to check it out.

That's the same one I have DE. In fact, I think you bought it on my recommendation. As far as user error... about the only thing I can think of is raising the tip too high off the piece you're cutting, causing a flameout. It will cut in full contact, so try dragging it across a thin piece of metal and see if it stays lit. If it does, you're lettin' the tip drift too high off the work. If it still quits after a few seconds, I'd guess you've got an electrical problem.
As far as duty cycle on that one, not too long ago I cut a pipe that was 8" in diameter and 1/4" thick. Cut it into 4 sections non stop... it never missed a beat.
Here's the settings I used...

amps.jpg

press.jpg

IMG_20200622_172427.jpg

I do have issues with steadiness, both from shaky hands and piss-poor to non-existent depth perception. I'll try a drag cut and if that works, I'll build a guide to keep the tip the correct distance off the work.

Back