Home made chain tensioner

ontherocks

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Figured since I didn't win one in the Mostercraftsman giveaway, I would get to work and try to make one. I only have the basics of tools and I cannot weld so here it goes.

I noticed that our stock pegs have a nice tension spring already in it.
footpegspring.jpg

footpegspring2.jpg

However, the stock is twisted. So I had to cut that off will have to have a friend weld that up for me.
footpegstock.jpg

footpegbeforecutting.jpg

Clean it up and drill a hole in the end.
footpegstock.jpg

Go to Ace and pick up some various spacers and a bolt.
footpegpartsfromace.jpg

A little bit of superglue to hold it together and insert into end of the foot peg
footpegdropofsg.jpg

Ebay some skateboard wheels. They come in different hardness ratings. The Powell Peralta wheels are a 97 durometer rating so should hold up just fine. They are wider too.
Bolt it all up. My local skate shop gave me some bearings for free when I asked.
footpegweldedtogeher2.jpg

Drilled a hole and threaded the bottom. Also drilled hole in motorcycle frame crossmember and threaded that too. Bolted it on with blue loctite for testing until I decide to have it welded for extra security.
footpegtapped.jpg

footpeginstalled.jpg

footpeginstalled4.jpg

foorpeginstalled5.jpg

Hope some of you find this helpful. Cost me about 20 bucks to do and I have 3 wheels left over.:laugh:

Duuuuude, that is freakin awesome! I like the creativity on this, the bike looks great as well, rock on with the great work! :rock:

Does that light foot peg spring seem to handle the chain tension while under way? Have you tested it yet? All the after market stuff I see have heavier springs. Great idea, right up my ally for using existing parts.

Thanks for the nice comments guys.
I took it out out for a 40 mile ride yesterday and it works great. Got to cruise at a nice steady 65 mph on the interstate.
Definitely alot smoother when slamming through the gears without all the slack in the chain.
However, I can't really compare it to anything else as I don't have experience with another tensioner.
The wheel spins nicely and the chain stays right in the middle. It does bob up and down when riding and keeps nice tension on the chain. I'm not sure if its supposed to stay still or not.
Overall, I'm happy with it and have decided to weld it on permanently.

I know this is a little off topic, but what rear fender is that? That is exactly the style I am looking for but all I can find are way out of my price range.

Chain tensioners are supposed to float(or bob up and down). I was just wondering if the tension would strong enough to handle the shifting and steady running. Sounds like it does. I will try this myself as I have several foot pegs laying around. Nice post.

Thats actually off one of those kikker kit bikes. I got it from a scooter shop that went out of business for 30 bucks. It already has a cut out section so the chain doesnt rub. Its actually pretty sturdy. It doesnt sit as close to the tire as I would like ,but I think it looks good though.
I still want a ribbed one from 7west but cant afford it yet. I dumped most of my money into getting everything running good first. Probably have another year until I can make everything pretty. :)
You can see the gap is pretty high in this old pic. (I have an led brake light strip under it)
graffitibikepic.jpg

good work and thanks for the how-to! I'm doing this for sure!

i'll take one of those extra wheels off ya!;)

How much oil slings off of that little wheel. I put one on,and get chain oil all over everything.

Back