Homeward bound

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Well I picked up the new to me bike yesterday. 820 km, 115L fuel and 12 hours later I was home. Took a few pics at the last gas shop. This is the first Italian bike I’ve owned and quite honestly the first one I’ve ever looked at closely. I must admit the build quality and attention to detail is superb. Anxious to get a good ride in but that’s probably next year. Will also test its reliability (And report to @MaxPete).
032B01CD-3F33-477B-A136-EC0DC2A6B8A3.jpeg
89186F00-968E-46DA-8A0B-BD8051F7FA3A.jpeg
AAAD9427-9FCF-462A-8987-65FC23A5555F.jpeg
518C3569-DF5A-42BD-AB3E-AF61C0C3EFC0.jpeg
87BB1B5D-DC09-40B5-A6C8-552F7EA2CC63.jpeg
6C8B64B1-D889-4DC4-B2C5-1BE132CF469F.jpeg

The seat was very uncomfortable and in anticipation of this, I purchased a Sargent custom seat and it seems to have addressed that issue. Bike has gobs of torque and good power. Very nimble too with the wide bars and light weight (417 lbs wet). It’s a naked bike so not a lot of bells and whistles, but enough to keep me amused.

Well I picked up the new to me bike yesterday. 820 km, 115L fuel and 12 hours later I was home. Took a few pics at the last gas shop. This is the first Italian bike I’ve owned and quite honestly the first one I’ve ever looked at closely. I must admit the build quality and attention to detail is superb. Anxious to get a good ride in but that’s probably next year. Will also test its reliability (And report to @MaxPete).View attachment 229605View attachment 229606View attachment 229607View attachment 229608View attachment 229609View attachment 229610
The seat was very uncomfortable and in anticipation of this, I purchased a Sargent custom seat and it seems to have addressed that issue. Bike has gobs of torque and good power. Very nimble too with the wide bars and light weight (417 lbs wet). It’s a naked bike so not a lot of bells and whistles, but enough to keep me amused.
Congrats! She's a beauty. Have fun and report back.

Inquiring minds want to know... Nice wheel chock, but why, when that trailer is designed for motorcycles anyway?
I find the “wheel chock” built into the trailer doesn’t hold the bike vertical by itself, so trying to strap it down by yourself is a pita. I just throw that chock in the front of the trailer and it holds everything securely. Maybe not 100% necessary but I’ve always done it that way.

Last edited:
I find the “wheel chock” built into the trailer doesn’t hold the bike vertical by itself, so trying to strap it down by yourself is a pita. I just throw that chock in the front of the trailer and it holds everything securely. Maybe not 100% necessary but I’ve always done it that way.
Curiosity only. Thanks for responding. We learn so very much on this site.

The po messed up the top shock clevis mount for the rear shock (elongated the mount hole). It’s been removed for repair but I didn’t trust leaving the bike balanced on a 2x4 on top of one of my scissor jacks. The Ducati doesn’t have a frame member underneath so its difficult to support. I stuck a piece of hardwood in where the shock used to be but didn’t like that either so I made my temporary “hard tail” brace. Quite solid now. Maybe take it for a spin like this - just kidding. Lol.

35C3C59B-2109-4005-854A-064AF4DA42AB.jpeg
2950D8E4-F76B-4682-9B22-46F97AE04638.jpeg
D0B84BDD-E787-4554-BA16-0C35B14D696B.jpeg
329C9A51-34CE-4659-AB54-1D312BC340B7.jpeg

Last edited:
Bosco - I am not exagerating - that solid brace will have more compliance than the stock shock. I couldnt beleive how solid mine was - there was no movement at all. This is made worse by the fact that the bike is so light (mine was 164 Kg with 10 litres perol) that any shitty surface launches the back of the bike into your spine. I call it "the tail wagging the dog". I fitted Ohlins which was a mistake beacvuse they lean towards performance and had the same problem. The guy that fitted it removed a heap of shims and things and got some oil moving around which improved things. With that suspension and those Pirelli MT60 you will never lose the back end. Apparently the Pirellis are based on a wet compound and I rode mine like and old pussy and still wore them out in 3000 Klms.
Regards Ray.

Bosco - I am not exagerating - that solid brace will have more compliance than the stock shock. I couldnt beleive how solid mine was - there was no movement at all. This is made worse by the fact that the bike is so light (mine was 164 Kg with 10 litres perol) that any shitty surface launches the back of the bike into your spine. I call it "the tail wagging the dog". I fitted Ohlins which was a mistake beacvuse they lean towards performance and had the same problem. The guy that fitted it removed a heap of shims and things and got some oil moving around which improved things. With that suspension and those Pirelli MT60 you will never lose the back end. Apparently the Pirellis are based on a wet compound and I rode mine like and old pussy and still wore them out in 3000 Klms.
Regards Ray.
Thx Ray. Well thats not good news about how quickly the tires may wear. I’ll probably put a couple of thousand KM on next year, but the bike already had 2K km, so maybe they’ll be done at the end of next season? I‘m not an aggressive rider so hopefully they’ll be good for a bit. I was looking at an Ohlins shock but after your report I may think twice about that. The stock shock clevis is being welded up by a friend and should be back on the bike next month.

Geezzz....those were pretty messy mods on a brand new and very nice bike.

I will say, that aluminium bar will give a pretty firm ride...

Somehow I missed this thread when you posted it, great looking bike! 😃 I had the opportunity to ride a Hypermotard when they first came out and was very impressed. They’re such great bikes. Congratulations!

The seat was very uncomfortable and in anticipation of this, I purchased a Sargent custom seat and it seems to have addressed that issue.

When I bought my Suzuki 650 V-Strom, I bought it without ever riding one, and by the time I rode it home from the dealership ( as I was pulling my pants out of my butt ) I said this 🤬 seat has got to go! So I ordered a Seargent seat for it. It was easily the best thing I did for that bike as far as comfort goes.
So……got any updated photos with the new seat on it?

Back