honda cbx

rickieh

XS650 Owner
Reaction score
So I was googling xs650 and looking at the related searches for giggles and ran across the honda cbx, a 6 cylinder bike putting out over 100 hp stock. Let's put that in prespective...the stock bike puts out 105 hp, thats hp not bhp. My car is a 99 cavalier with a custom exhaust that adds a bit of power and it produces roughly 116 horsepower. :wtf: Thats a monster bike. Does anyone think this could be put on an xs650 frame:confused:? It's quite large and very wide, so I'm doubting it :mad:

on a side note,anyone have an xs with over 100hp?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=hond...3&tbnw=154&start=0&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

I don't think the XS frame could handle it and, imho, would be a waste of time and money to modify it. Maybe a modified CB750 frame. It would probably, if you didn't have a frame, be most cost effective to have one made to fit.
It's a badass bike for sure.

Cool looking. If you are sure you want to set all those valves and synch 6 carbs............. Horsepower? not so much, it's an air cooled 30 year old bike. Any late model 600 sport bike would eat it for lunch.
As I riffed yesterday, Yes 100 HP but they are tiny little Japanese horses.

Here's a stolen comparo Hint it's not even close.

1979 CBX 1050 vs 2005 ZX6R

Here are some tests of the CBX. Condensed 1/4 mile times:

Cycle 1979 : 11.552 sec @ 117.49 mph
Cycle 1980 : 12.16 sec @ 111.11 mph
Motorcyclist 1980 : 11.84 sec @ 116.1 mph
Cycle 1981 : 12.02 sec @ 111.52 mph
Cycle World 1980 : 12.13 sec @ 109.89 mph

It seems that the range at the strip would run in the high 11s and low 12s. Seems the mechanical advance was a source of lower trip times on 1980 and later models. I can't find anything in the articles above to corroborate an 11.36 second 1/4 bone stock, but it may be out there. Most of the above articles would probably tell you if they're corrected to standard altitude/pressure levels, but you'll have to find that out on your own.

The 2005 ZX-6R was still the 636cc model. It was fast for a middleweight. Hell, it was fast for any motorcycle at all.

Sportrider.com : 10.38 sec @ 135.6 mph
Motorcycle-USA.com : 10.78 sec @ 128.8 mph
Motorcycle.com : 10.61 sec @ 127.5 mph

So, mid 10-second range, trap speeds between 125 and 135mph, generally.

In a 1/4 mile race (on our computer data bench-race, at least), given the same rider, the ZX-6R will leave the CBX for dead. At minimum, we're talking about a 1/2 second disparity which is many bike lengths, and a trap speed disparity of 15 to 20mph. The 6R's run would be limited by the rider's ability to keep the front wheel on the ground, and the CBX's by a skimpy bias-ply rear tire and likely wheelspin, along with over 670 lbs. of bike, fully fueled. We don't even need to guess which could potentially make it around any track in the world faster. We're talking about a bike from 1979, with severely limited ground clearance, suspension capabilities, and brakes that won't be effective for very long!

Holy hell, do you live under a rock or what? .

100hp has been surpassed by 600cc 4 cyls in the mid 90's.

Ducati's new 1199 Panigale superbike makes about 180HP and it's a 1200CC twin.

hell the 1000cc air cooled ducs make close to 100hp.

Kawasaki also had a 6, the KZ1300

A couple show up at the Gilmore Vintage Motorcycle Show in Hickory Corners MI every year. They sure are monstrous!

Yes 100 HP but they are tiny little Japanese horses.[/QUOTE said:
Love that one Gary.
By the way our 650 frames can barely handle the massive HP our engine puts out

My cbr 6 had 109 hp dyno'd when I was done with it, but a lot of shit happened between 1979 and now. Interesting to see how they thought the best way to get 100 hp was back in the day, Six cylinders!

Why put one in an xs frame when they are in a frame that works fine already? The reason why were all on this forum is more so the xs engine then anything, especially the frame. The xs engine is bombproof, the frame not so much!

Tron

Honda liked six cylinders

But it had nothing on moto guzzi's 500cc V8!

Guzziv82x.jpg

More info on the Guzzi

Holy hell, do you live under a rock or what? .

100hp has been surpassed by 600cc 4 cyls in the mid 90's.

Ducati's new 1199 Panigale superbike makes about 180HP and it's a 1200CC twin.

hell the 1000cc air cooled ducs make close to 100hp.

Kawasaki also had a 6, the KZ1300

yes im quite aware bikes nowadays are power house, have you seen boss hoss cycles? but for a '78 bike to have the horsepower of my 99 car over 2 decades newer? im surprised at the age/power ratio i guess...and i dont know if a newer engine could go on an xs frame,i think a bike of closer age would be more likely

hi guys ,,,,have you seen the panel beaters night mare that a guy has made its a cbx V 12.. ,,, with all the carbys and ram tubes out the front ... .. it looks fantastic... clearly he has a very understanding partner regards oldbiker

So the 636 makes more power, is faster, quicker etc...

Who'll give a shit or even remember it in 30 years. That's why the CBX is a Great Motorcycle; it was, and is, special. Sort of like a certain old Yamaha that barely makes enough power to get our of its way, but gets under your skin. If performance was everything, all of our XS's would be melted and cast into cheap Chinese crap by now.

Does anyone think this could be put on an xs650 frame:confused:? It's quite large and very wide, so I'm doubting it :mad:

Getting ever so slightly back to the original question - I think you already knew the answer to your question.

Could it fit - most things are possible

It's quite large and wide - yes, rumour has it that the CBX engine is the only engine that can be seen from outer space.

The CBX didn't handle very well when new, it was a classic late 70's jap superbike with just a little too much power for it's chassis (I speak from experience here - Yes it was a wonderful bike to pose on and yes it was very quick in a straight line compared to most of the other bikes on the road at the time, but it was a handfull in the corners and it was a heavy old thing to throw around) A CBX engine deserves a proper bespoke race derived chassis such as a Spondon Moto Martin or a Harris (google them if you haven't heard of them - works of art) What that marvel of 70's motorcycle engineering doesn't deserve is a chassis that in standard format barely copes with the standard output of an XS650.

My mate had one of these Moto Martin framed CBX's at the same time and trust me it transformed the bike - Got to Love the late 70's early 80's bodywork LOL

motomartincbx70s.jpg

Another Moto Martin

Honda_CBXmotomartin.jpg

And a couple of photo's of some Spondon CBX art

spondon_cbx1000_08.jpg

spondoncbx.jpg

yes im quite aware bikes nowadays are power house, have you seen boss hoss cycles? but for a '78 bike to have the horsepower of my 99 car over 2 decades newer? im surprised at the age/power ratio i guess...and i dont know if a newer engine could go on an xs frame,i think a bike of closer age would be more likely

I dont think you realise how LITTLE of power that was for the time, a suzuki GS1100 from that era probably makes close to that for hp with 2 less cylinders and less weight.

whats you point about the boss hoss....it's a car engine? (not to mention they look like shit) and most 600cc sport bikes are still faster than it cause you cant even get any traction on it.:laugh:

Age has nothing to do with motor mounts lining up, A cbx will go no easier to another frame than a modern engine.

whats you point about the boss hoss....it's a car engine? (not to mention they look like shit) and most 600cc sport bikes are still faster than it cause you cant even get any traction on it.:laugh:

There's been one on the local Craigslist for quite some time, sporting full on patriotic stars, stripes, etc. paint. The description reads something like "you've got to be a real man to ride this bike". I believe he was trying to get 35K or so for it.

Back