Hooking up new coils

650Fool

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, today I sat down with my new, very powerful, Emgo Universal Coils (#24-71512), to figure out how to hook 'em up to my, freshly rebuilt, very powerful, '77 D engine (with stock points).

I noticed the threaded coil posts were marked with a "+" and a "-". So which post do I connect the orange wire to? Which one do I connect the brown wire to?...etc.

I looked thorugh the forum posts and found the consensus to be that it doesn't matter, just make sure whatever coil has the orange wire should have its spark plug wire go to the left cylinder, etc.

I did a little more internet search out of curiosity and found that, while the coils and points don't care about polarity, the spark plugs might. Someone wrote that, given a choice, electrons prefer to go from hot surfaces to cold, meaning that less energy is required to create a spark if the electrons are "guided" in that direction. Since the center electrode of a spark plug is hotter than its base, it would seem that in a negative ground system, one would get a more reliable spark if the negative side of the coil goes to the points :wtf:.

No, I am not an expert. Yes, this is food for thought. No, don't ask me any questions about this foolishness. Yes, I do appreciate snappy comebacks.... :bike:

650Fool

Some of that is correct. The coil polarity matters in order to produce a negative voltage to the spark plugs. The tip of the spark plug is the hottest part and, yes, electrons like to go from a hot surface to a colder surface, and the electrons are in the negative voltage wire, so you should observe the polarity markings of the primary with the + going to the source of battery and the - going to the points and condenser in order to produce a negative voltage at the spark plug tip.

Thanks Pete. You summed up the essence and confirmed my suspicions. I guess the "+" and "-" markings are a holdover from the days when creating/maintaining a spark was more tenuous. As a separate note, thanks also for the info on substitute condensors...might as well replace those too!

Back