How can I tell if my Cam Cain slipped?

DrewDidIt

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First time posting here.

I have a 1978 XS650 I bought a couple months ago. It was very neglected. I replaced the camchain, seals, rings, fixed carb float, synced carbs, etc. And the thing was running cherry. About 250 miles after the overhaul, I was going about 50 mph and gave it a little gas to get around a car. Just then both caps for syncing the carbs (the ones coming out of the rubber boots that fit the carbs to the engine) blew off, the engine stopped running, and was backfiring until I came to a stop.
The 10 mm nut had come off that holds the timing advance together. It looks as if the whole timing advance unit may have rotated a bit aswell. The keeper pin for the unit i thought used to be in a different location then before. Up near the top (its near the bottom now)
Now the timing is all screwed up and it just backfires when Im trying to start it.
The cam chain is still intact and everything seems to be mechanically working.
How to I tell if it was a slipping cam chain from not setting the tensioner right, or if it might be something in the advance housing where the keeper pin goes.

Please Help!

The points cam is linked to the advance unit, and when the adv unit loosened up, it jacked up the timing.

Fix the advance unit first. And welcome to the site!

First thing to check. Put your engine to tdc. The t mark on the stator. Does the advance unit locator pin line up at 12 or 6 o clock? It should. If not. The chain has jumped.

Yes, I lines up at 12. I got it running today with the timing in full advance. It seems responsive and will idle at 800 rpm but there is ALOT of excessive motor vibrations when taking a ride.

Back