How close is the drive chain meant to sit next to a rear 16" tire?

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am starting to uncover alot of problems from buying this hardtailed frame and motor.
I have had the wheels rebuilt and the fronts now a 21 and the rear came as a 16 so i put the big old repro firestone on it. Put my new sprockets on front and rear and found out that the rear wheel with both spacers doesnt fit between the axle plates.

Not sure what genius made the hardtail. It's welded to the frame quite well. I have since fixed the problem of it not fitting and went to put the new chain from mikes on. It's just sitting in place at the moment but its so close to the rear tire. theres only a gap of about 5mm between the tire and the chain. I am sure this is not correct.

My guess is that when they rebuilt my wheels at the shop they didnt line the hub up to the rim.

Just wondering if anyone with a 16" tire could give me a measurement from their tire to their chain.

Thanks.

Mine clears by about 1/2". Have you layed a straight edge along the outside edge of the tire and measured to the edge of the hub on each side?That will tell you if the hub is centered in the rim.

Back