how do I drain my Dodge 2.2L engine before the big freeze

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to protect my 1983 non-running stock 2.2 rampage engine from freezing. I disconnected the lower radiator hose, but it doesn't seem like enough water came out. Is there something else I should do? It's just water, no anti-freeze. Tonight's predicted low is 5 degrees.

I had a Dodge 2.2 ages ago. Don't recall anything special about draining it. But like I said, that was ages ago. I suppose if you're not absolutely sure, you could hook the hose back up and pour in a gal of -30° antifreeze?

Remove the thermostat, then re-attach the upper hose. Get a gallon of antifreeze and pour it into the top hose with a pan under the lower hose. Pour what drains out back through a few more times to make sure it mixes.
Thanks to everyone who responded. This is a good idea. Going out now to try it.

So, this is working. What about the heater core? I don't even know where it is on this car. Looked at pics of new ones, and the inlet and outlet are on the top. Any ideas on draining (and finding) it?

Any ideas on draining (and finding) it?
Should be 2 hoses going into the firewall. Disconnect them and alternate blowing shop air into the hoses until no more water comes out.

150256978_10219810820003172_2157727468913579841_o.jpg

Cover of the April 2021 Hot Rod magazine. Expect Rampages to suddenly get a lot more expensive.

Untitled-1.jpg

https://www.hotcars.com/dodge-rampa...forgotten-pickup-into-an-outrageous-race-car/
Then there's this 200 MPH Rampage, which aired on Discovry + Monster Garage on 2/8/21. Glad I got my Rampage when I did.

Back