How do I get there from here

xander18

Hotrod Hobo
Reaction score
I found a general model for where I want to go with my cafe build up. I hate that people see a bike with clubmans and an aftermarket seat and say 'ooh, nice cafe'. So I want to build something radical that will never be confused with a stocker. Luckily Hans Prost in the Netherlands built something exactly like that.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/HansHolland01.html

So my questions are how to get there from here (here being a stocker basket case).
Is that custom right side case available? With the clutch window.
Is that exhaust available or do I need to fabricate it? (my fav part of this bike)
Same question with the tank and seat.
What dual disc front end should I be looking for? Not necessarily what he used but any good, cheap option.
I'm sure there are threads here about adapting other rims onto an XS but any advice is appreciated.
Last, has anyone done that oil cooler setup? With the aftermarket oil filter cover.

Any and all answers you have will be appreciated. If anything here is really stumping me I'll just email Prost. This will be one of those long, slow builds as money becomes available for frivolous pursuits such as this but I'm looking forward to it!

Edit:
I should add that I'll only give up on fabricating something when it's firmly out of my skill level/tool range. I love to work on stuff and I'm looking forward to learning how to do tanks/exhaust/seats. I just want to price everything out.

Last edited:
Hey xan

I've been viewing these photo's for a while and I'm pretty sure the that most of these parts are from various years of sport bikes. The wheels,forks and brakes look like fzr stuff...no no maybe r1...they look more like the r1's....

I say you check out some various aspects you like about other sport bikes and see what you can get your hands on to adapt to your project. Thats my plan at least.

Good Luck with the build, I'll look for you in my rear view mirror :bike:

You would have to get a hold of Hans Prost. It's one of his creations if I'm not mistaken. I will look and see if I still have his email addy.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.jpg
    IMG_2516.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 189
Hey... WAAAAAAAAAAYT a minuht!!!! :p

*pulls the caps off xander's plugs* :p

Haha, I should've clarified. I hate people who see a STOCK bike and get confused about what a cafe racer truly is! The term 'balls to the walls' and 'too fast, too scary' come to mind.

If you are looking for what can be done (unlimited funds?) I would say these exceed the criteria of "Cafe Racer" From a European web site.

Attachments

• Special Yabsa 750 Totti Motori.jpg
    Special Yabsa 750 Totti Motori.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Special Yabsa 750 Totti Motori  1.jpg
    Special Yabsa 750 Totti Motori 1.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 228
What makes a bike a "Cafe Racer" and consider the origins of the "Cafe Racer". The "Ton Up Boys" in Britain, in the early 60's started all this. They stripped their Triumphs, BSA's, Norton's, etc of anything that wasn't needed, lowered the handle bars, swapping parts, sometimes changing frames, all in an effort to go faster, handle better and stop quicker. But make no mistake about it, this was a low budget, do it yourself, run what you brung movement. So to the guy who puts clubman bars and a low seat on his bike and calls it a cafe bike, why not. That effort may in fact, be more legitimate than the high dollar exotics.

There've been some ridiculously intense and uncivil discussions about the definitions of words like 'cafe', 'bobber', and 'chopper' on other forums. Not to get into that here, but let's just say that I don't like to do things half assed. I don't have much money but I have a lot of energy and I'm patient so usually I can build something pretty cool after awhile.

Well I think the only thing it comes down to when making a "Cafe Racer" is just that, The word "Racer". It's gotta have some get up and go, If its panzy in the pants then you got an imitation, a look alike...

Without the power to back up your bark you turn into one of those guys you roll up on at a light and he revs his little Honda civic engine till his exhaust burps and he thinks every one is out to race him and his whopping 130ph engine...

(Not hating on civics, just a convenient truth that there are alot people like this with civics)

But back to the point you needs some power.....:thumbsup:

thanks for the rant :twocents: :)

although i agree with needing power, i'm thinking a cafe racer also has to have good handling qualities as well.
actually, if you read about the history of cafe racers handling was a larger part of the equation than power. the roads in england were pretty curvy where handling and torque got you where you were going (one reason why the twins were preferred). Power was usually increased by losing weight on the bike and decreasing drag - thus the stripped down look - not by modifying the engine itself.

that is if you're going for the historically correct cafe racer, otherwise fuck ya add some power :rock:

crap...totally forgot ....(hangin head in shame) :doh:

I was so caught up with my power craze I forgot to add handling :banghead:

luckily there's someone else to remember the other important things, thanks :thumbsup:

I found a general model for where I want to go with my cafe build up. I hate that people see a bike with clubmans and an aftermarket seat and say 'ooh, nice cafe'. So I want to build something radical that will never be confused with a stocker. Luckily Hans Prost in the Netherlands built something exactly like that.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/HansHolland01.html
That isn't a cafe; it's more of a street fighter with a cafe influence.

This build by him is more of a cafe.

Also, building these bikes (or any, for that matter) isn't like driving a Civic through Pep Boys with a crap magnet on it. Rather, it is about having a vision and then carefully creating that vision by altering and finessing parts that aren't always specified for our bikes. That was exactly what was done by Hans in your original link. These aren't Screamin' Eagle builds by a longshot, and if you want "radical", you aren't going to find "plug and play" to achieve that goal. Stick around, poke through the threads, and by all means ask questions. But I doubt anyone is going to give you a road map to knock off someone else's bike. Nor should you want to. We want to see your vision. :thumbsup:

[first post/rant off]

Cooter, I spent a couple of hours sorting through the threads and Google images to find an XS with that exact exhaust and seat/tank configuration because that was what I was going for. The dual front disc brakes are just a good idea for a performance bike and I thought that his sidecover was a cool idea but I don't have the tools to fab/modify aluminum. I will build a cool bike that will be very unique but why reinvent the wheel?

If you'd build stuff differently, go for it. But your first post on xs650.com was to come here to knock what I'm trying to do and tell me that I'm not being creative or original enough. The more I think about this the angrier I get. Your righteousness will make myself and others more hesitant to ask questions on this forum because we might not have our specific wording right about what a bike is or isn't. Or we're not building with the right attitude. So in short, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Bravo!!! Bravo!!! :agree:

Well I'm very much in the same area that Xander is in, so for Me ,Xan and everyone else out there wondering "Whats the best ideas you guys got for building up a Cafe XS"???
Weather it's about seats, tanks or performance stuff I'm all ears.

So what you guys got??

Pics would be nice if you got em. :thumbsup:

Shameless plug :laugh: For those pipes go here... xs650exhaust.com thats me! Hans Prost built his "Back to basics" bike after seeing my "78" and listed my Black/White bobber on his top ten best XS list :D Prost is definitly skilled to a different level, that of "Master builder" :bow2:. End of :hijack:
cimg1421k.jpg
user344pic1492128637436.jpg
user344pic1460128629435.jpg

Hey Gordon, welcome to the party! We were just talking about you. Any chance you could PM me (or post here) a price for those high pipes? I'm not putting in any orders yet but I'm putting together the budget of the project. I'm just a starving engineering student! :)

What makes a bike a "Cafe Racer" and consider the origins of the "Cafe Racer". The "Ton Up Boys" in Britain, in the early 60's started all this. They stripped their Triumphs, BSA's, Norton's, etc of anything that wasn't needed, lowered the handle bars, swapping parts, sometimes changing frames, all in an effort to go faster, handle better and stop quicker. But make no mistake about it, this was a low budget, do it yourself, run what you brung movement. So to the guy who puts clubman bars and a low seat on his bike and calls it a cafe bike, why not. That effort may in fact, be more legitimate than the high dollar exotics.

Agreed...

ps: just to add another thought: another component of cafe racer would be a really fearless rider. Power, handling and fearless rider. Otherwise it's all just for looks and throttle blipping, right?
So I'd throw out there that a fearless and skillful rider on a slightly stripped, nearly stock, (and possibly very ugly) XS could negotiate the bike more quickly around the streets than a "typical" rider on that Hans Prost bike. And from what I understand, in the early days of the cafe scene, that's what counted - getting there first.
:)

Last edited:
Hey Gordon, welcome to the party! We were just talking about you. Any chance you could PM me (or post here) a price for those high pipes? I'm not putting in any orders yet but I'm putting together the budget of the project. I'm just a starving engineering student! :)
Hi Xander, I'll send you a p.m. and feel free to email me direct. You and Samuraiace are not too far from me, I will be comming up that way in a few months on the "puppy dog route". It's a mostly dirt road ride from Massachusetts to Canada and I'll be riding my off road XS sidecar rig. I'll let you guys know when I'm comming up and maybe we could meet and grab lunch and a drink :cheers: P.S. It just so happens that "starving engineering students" and veterans receive a 5% disscount on all purchases :D

My neighbor was a huge influence in my life as a kid, he was from London and told me about the "59 club". The club was founded by a minister or priest or something? He was trying to stop mischief between two clubs and made one of the two. Anyway my neighbor's garage was full of pictures, memorabilia and Brit iron. He used to tell me stories of the good old days growing up in London and the Ace café. They had no money so the best way to speed was to strip weight and tuck low. They would race to a point (can't remember where but he told me) and back, looser would by the coffee. I was young and had no idea the significance of his tales. I went back to see him at his home last year after not seeing him for over 20yrs but he was gone and I think he passed away, he would have never left that home accept feet first. "ton up boys"
aceboyscopy.jpg

Back