How do I position my tire when replacing it?

danno

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Stupid question, perhaps. I was wondering where the yellow paint dot on my new Dunlop tire goes in relationship to the valve stem, or if it even matters. I am not using wheel weights, I am installing Dyna Beads, so I am unsure if I even need to be concerned about the position of the tire.

if you're using dyna beads it probably won't matter. but it is said that the yellow circle should be in line with the valve stem.

hi ,,,i put both my bridgestone tubless on my 1980 gs1000e,,, the yallow dot goes right near the valve,,,,,,,,,i,m using 1 small stick on weight on the front and the bike handle like a treat....regards oldbiker

From an old 650 rider thread:

Definatly better if you have 3 tyre levers, 2 standard bike irons & 1 car type comes in handy.
I use a spare 4WD wheel as a bench, my bike wheels fit in there nice. And it keeps the discs ect off the ground.

1. Mark the tyre in line with the valve. (if your going to refit)
2. Remove the valve & break the bead. I've got a press for the tough ones. You can make a press out of some wood a car and a jack if needed.
3. If possible, make sure your new & old rubber are warm. (makes them much easier to work)
4. Starting opposite the valve, gently pry up a small piece (not to deep or you'll pinch the tube) at a time. By the time you get 2 levers in & back, it's pretty plain sailing from there.
5.Remove the tube and then remove other side.

To put it back in:

1. Make sure directional arrows (if it's got them) are going the right way
2. Most tyres these days have a coloured dot on them. This indicates the lightest point of the tyre, the dot should go along side the valve. (the heaviest part of the rim/tube)
4. To seat the bead properly you need to use lube. Tyre lube is best, but very soapy water or something slippery will work to make sure the bead settles correctly.
5. Push on one side of the tyre.
6. Put the slightly inflated tube in the tyre.
7. Starting opposite the valve again, gently work the irons around both sides heading back to the valve. This is where the third iron comes in handy. Inch it up till you slip the last bit over...Don't get to greedy......Done. This is the part that many people stuff up on, if you insert the irons to far, you can catch the tube & stuff it !
8. With the valve removed, inflate the tyre to seat the bead. 50psi should do it, if not let the air out and lube up the tyre some more. Sometimes bouncing the tyre around can help settle a bead into place.
9. Check the bead line is even all around on both sides, if it's not deflate and try again till it's right! Check the pressure is what you need!
10. Crack a tinny while your mate re-fits the wheel!

If you do lots (like me), I highly recommend the HF tire changer. It's paid for itself many times over since I got it.

Back