How do you lock-up your bike ??

Hairyblackdude

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team,

I installed new brake rotors this weekend, replacing my old warped XS1100 rotors. I realized that the new stock rotors don't have any holes or slots in them, so I can't use my disc-brake lock anymore !!

When its in storage, I can chain it up, no worries.. However, when Im out & about, I need a portable way to secure the bike to discourage someone from rolling away with it if I'm going to be away from it for more than a few minutes!!

So,

HOW DO YOU SECURE YOUR BIKE FROM THEFT WHEN IN PUBLIC ??

Thanks.
_marc

A large padlock. I have two I carry. Up front put it through the holes in the rotor close to where it mounts on the hub. On the rear through holes in the sprocket.
Or just carry some chain and chain it to something where you park.
Leo

Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain with a disc lock and a big ULock but honestly, if you can't lock it directly to something immovable, then as you're aware it can be stolen.

All locks and chains will do is keep the honest people honest. A thief knows how to defeat most locks in seconds.
The insurance companies like locks though. If locked up they are more apt to pay off.
Leo

If its usually just a quick pop in to a hardware store or a convenience store... I dont worry about it too much... Its going to be big trouble if I catch them in the act.

But, I was really thinking about it when I was at Home Depot.. Theres alot of trucks around, contractors etc.. Wouldnt be too hard for 4-5 people to lift it right up into a pickup truck & drive off in 20 seconds..

If I can make it harder & a pain in the ass to steal, Im all for it... Not too crazy about chaining it to anything, not to mention lugging a chain around with me as well.

The new rotors were too thick for the lock to slip over anyway..

i usually lock the sproket and front disc near the hub ... on my gs1000e i have world plotting security alarm system.. it looks like a thin plastic long coil and it hangs down ... then if somebody goes near it bang the alarm goes nuts dilt /move they a great it lets you know exactly where the bike is ...regards oldbiker

I never thought about the Home Depot angle... At Home Depot, I usually park as close to the door as possible, not in the marked car parking. I guess, at least parked there it would be on their surveillance camera tapes.

I always take my truck to Home Depot. My saddle bags are too small to haul lumber.

Chain and padlock for me.

In Britain there's a movement to display stickers saying it's okay to lock your bike to another riders chain even if you don't know them. I'm hoping it will take off here in the USA.

I will probably just end up going with a padlock through the rotor...

I even have a nice combo lock so I dont have to worry about a key !!

I was checking out chains & U locks, but my tank bag is heavy enough as it is..

Wrap the chain around you like the cowboys wrap a bandolier around them, across one shoulder. With the lock on the ends of the chain slip it into your pocket to keep it from swinging around.
Leo

Back