How do you pre 80 guys mount the dual output coil from pamco?

PickleSlice

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have dual coils on my '79, and want to replace them with the single coil from my pamco kit.

How have some of you mounted it? I need some inspiration.

I grabbed two ground clamps from home depot like this:
GCR50100.jpg

(I read this online somewhere, forgot exactly where though) and did this:

This thing is really secure and is not going anywhere.
My signal flasher on the other hand is just kind of hanging out there. Need to replace it with a smaller more modern one.

lorrXQQh.jpg

qrOXqWyh.jpg

KRbckLDh.jpg

I swapped out my standard horn for a special horn mount that puts the horn facing forward, then drilled four holes in a piece of aluminum bar stock. Drilled two holes in the horn mount plate and bolted it all together.

In my case I just had to make a couple small extension wires for the new horn location. I also turned the horn upside down so that the wires could be run as hidden as possible.

Both of those are great ideas, thank you very much!

I like the ground clamp idea, cheap and simple.
My favorite part is that it's hidden under the tank, and protected from the elements.
Only thing I don't like is that the two wires going to spark plugs com out of the same end, so it's not symmetrical. I guess I'm just being a perfectionist.

+1 for the ground clamp method. That's how I did mine, worked really well and you can pick a couple up at your local hardware store. The hole where the screw to secure the wire to the clamp (if it were used as it was intended) is the perfect size for the mounting holes on the coil.

+1 for the ground clamp method. That's how I did mine, worked really well and you can pick a couple up at your local hardware store. The hole where the screw to secure the wire to the clamp (if it were used as it was intended) is the perfect size for the mounting holes on the coil.
Only thing to look out for is to make sure your bolts going through the coil into the clamp are short enough to avoid bottoming out, I didn't have any laying around so I had to cut the bolts I got cause of that oversight.

I didnot like the angle the coil wires had to make comeing out sideways using the pipe clamps. To close to the tank for me. Did this summer of 2012 with my since sold tracker.

Back