How do you register a custom chopper?

ArcherSix

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How does one go about registering a custom cycle? I mean when you actually build one up on a new frame that doesn't have a VIN?

This is something I've wondered about for some time. I realize that it's different in the different states, just curious how those of you who have done it got away with it.

Like you said first call your DMV, but I'm pretty sure your frame will need a vin number/ I think all vehicles need one. This is why many people will ad a hardtail rather than build a whole new frame. To keep the neck with the vin on it. I know if you buy a new frame they give you a certificate of origin but I don't know if they come with a vin number on it already or you have to apply for one. This is from the Illinois DMV site

Registration Process

Custom-built vehicles and street rods follow the same registration processes. You'll need to provide documentation of where the vehicle came from by supplying one of the following that shows the VIN (vehicle identification number) for the body of the vehicle:

A certificate of origin from the manufacturer of the body.

If not from a kit, then a title for the vehicle from which the body came.

If you don't have a title or certificate of origin, provide bills of sale.

Completed certification by a National Street Rod Association (NSRA) inspector (see bottom of article).

You'll also need to document the source and VINs of the engine and chassis. The Vehicle Services Department gives more details about the documents needed to register your vehicle.

where i live, if its a total custom frame, they issue you a state vin tag. its a metal sticker that has the issue state and new vehicle id # stamped on it . you just place it on the neck where the vin should be. it must be able to pass a state saftey inspection and emissions if applicable. signals, lights, and horn must be marked d.o.t. approved. and they did fail me once cause i put those cheap chinese led signals on a bike i had. so run d.o.t. stuff for inspection then swap it out after for the kewl stuff

If you buy a frame from a manufacturer it should come with a MSO (manufacturer's Statement of origin) The state will accept that to get a title / registration. If you build your own frame here you can register the bike as a home built or replica. The state may want to see sales receipts for major components. You should check insurance rates on a cycle like this before building.

I bought an '81 (complicated provinence) with no title, registration, or bill of sale. Call it a '$50.00 North Country lawn ornament'. Getting the picture? Okay, my chances of finding the original, titled owner are slim and none, so another option would be to find a junk frame with a title (slim to maybe), but if it isn't a Xs650, what other similar Yamaha models can I use that will accept the original steering stem and triple clamps?:banghead:

Posted via Mobile

Back