How does it come off?

Reaction score
Hey guys, noticed my two screws came out in my tacj, how the the lid come off that holds in the glass so I can I tighten my screws,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 195
It doesn't. There are several opinions about that. Some will offer a method to basically pry the bezel off. Others, including me, will suggest that you simply hack saw it off. My method is to hack saw it off and replace it with a section of 4" heat shrink tubing.

I cheated and cut the bottom out of mine then epoxied it back together after the modification I made no it seems has noticed it. At least no one has mentioned it to me.

Hi richard,
you can pry up the bezel's coined-over back edge with a small screwdriver if you have the skills of a watchmaker and the patience of a Saint.
Failing that, cut the bezel into two half-circles with a fine cutting disc in a Dremel tool and pull the halves off sideways.
Put the little faceplate screws back in with Loctite.
Discard one of the rubber rings that were under the bezel so the halves fit back on easily.
Slather the halves with 5-minute epoxy, assemble and hold it all together until the epoxy sets up.
Note. This only works once.

Simple process and no watchmaking skills or sainthood patience required. Finished product is as good as new and keeps the gauge in original condition.

After doing a couple i could do it in less than an hour. Removing bezel, cleaning glass, maybe the face if required and replacing glass and bezel.

Link; http://www.xs650.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1728

pics are in order of process and has a tutorial with each pic

NOTE: Important not to tighten screws to much. Just nip them up and use a small drop of nail polish as a lock-tight or real lock-tight if you have some

The old KZ1300 were prone to breaking off the gauge pointers, I did several rim pry offs. I noticed my 79 with 9700 miles has loose speedo faceplate screws Sunday. I think a front Conti with balance issues may have contributed. That tire has to go.

Simple process and no watchmaking skills or sainthood patience required. Finished product is as good as new and keeps the gauge in original condition.
After doing a couple i could do it in less than an hour. Removing bezel, cleaning glass, maybe the face if required and replacing glass and bezel.

Hi Richard,
and there you have it; there's a fourth option:-
1) cut the bezel off
2) cut the case off
3) pry the bezel off
And now #4)
Ship the instrument off to Skull and have him fix it for you.

Before
full

After
full

The best thing about doing it this way is the gauge is not a throwaway after the fix. If the Bezel gets to damaged then revert to PamcoPetes method and you have still got a fixable gauge.

Throwing away parts and an epoxy fix would still work

Yes patience don't try to get the aluminum folded all the way back at once. Just keep going around the gauge making little pry backs, each lap opens the lip a bit more until it is just big enough to pull one side of the housing up free then slowly "twist" the housing free of the lip.

Once you get it back together you can take a small tack hammer and tap the crimp back down. Place the gauge face down on a firm but soft surface ( does that make sense?) SO's not to ding or scratch the bezel face.
I use that method to add the turn signal indicator light to the tach and then get rid of the center light tree to make way for my voltmeters.

Back