How far can you go on an XS650?

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about this rather than more important things. I can't think of why I couldn't confidently ride an XS650 from Mississippi to the Pacific Northwest and beyond, then back again. I think the bike should prove more durable than me. It's just a matter of packing it with the essentials. I'm interested in thoughts and comments on this.

1671218180279.png

When I was out there on Long runs I had camping gear and the daily distance in the interval
300 --400 km --600 km one time. Or shorter. Never at Nights.
Round trips typically around 1800 km or less. 2 - 3 weeks.
Taking my time not having a exact goal . Going in the direction the weather looked best
If I found a nice place typically a small town with a nice Camping I could stay there a couple of days.
Having the tent up and go around the place on the MC
I did not stay in hotels or motels. Can be different in the US
One time I stayed in a small place a week .Having a good time.

Personally longer than 300 --400 Km daily runs ---Wears you down. 600 was on Highway And the neck arms and behind Starts to protest . Getting more like a suffering. The one bike I had then vibrated more also.
I did not have any major problems .One charging stopping I can remember.
But if taking it in steps . I cannot se why not possible to go far.
If one gets tired of it . One can turn and go back home.
Perhaps ship the bike via train.

I think the bike can handle it. Can I, is the question.
Did 5k miles in 14 days on a '05 H-D Road King. It beat the stuffing out of me. On a smaller bike, if you limit your time in the saddle each day or take frequent fairly long breaks, sure. My choice would be to limit the miles per day and let the body recover. Actually sounds kinda' fun.

Take 2 lanes when you can where you'll find the nicest people and the restaurant's etc. in small towns
If you travel to long every day it becomes a task and not the journey your looking for

Take 2 lanes when you can where you'll find the nicest people and the restaurant's etc. in small towns
If you travel to long every day it becomes a task and not the journey your looking for
I fully agree with Mikey.
I take many 5 to 7 hour day trips with lots of stops to stretch and chat with folks.

I think that you could go anywhere on an XS650; your success would be very much dependant on the quality of your maintenance.

Let's not forget what Robert Pirsig did,

1671230482520.png

... 5,700 miles on a '66 Honda CB77 Super Hawk

1671230590261.png

...which is now in the Smithsonian.

Do a little jaunt say 1,000 miles. see how that feels.
Age has a funny way of changing the definition of adventure ride.
I did over 1,000 miles taking the XS650 to the VJMC National Rally in June. That trip was almost without issue other than inducing an alignment problem. Through thunder, lightning and heavy rain, the bike ran without a hiccup as it always has. In 2002, I took it to my HS reunion. That was 2000 miles and my rotor shorted immediately after the trip. I did the entire BRP on it in 2010, up and back, Skyline Drive included. My current issue is that I'm limited to a weekend until I can retire.

I did over 1,000 miles taking the XS650 to the VJMC National Rally in June. That trip was almost without issue other than inducing an alignment problem. Through thunder, lightning and heavy rain, the bike ran without a hiccup as it always has. In 2002, I took it to my HS reunion. That was 2000 miles and my rotor shorted immediately after the trip. I did the entire BRP on it in 2010, up and back, Skyline Drive included. My current issue is that I'm limited to a weekend until I can retire.
You have done some monumental trips, Marty!

I fully agree with Mikey.
I take many 5 to 7 hour day trips with lots of stops to stretch and chat with folks.

I think that you could go anywhere on an XS650; your success would be very much dependant on the quality of your maintenance.

Let's not forget what Robert Pirsig did,

View attachment 232052

... 5,700 miles on a '66 Honda CB77 Super Hawk

View attachment 232053

...which is now in the Smithsonian.

That young lad in the back would still have story's to tell if he went along

Last edited:
That young lad in the back would still has story's to tell if he went along
In fact, he did go along. That's Pirsig's son, Chris.

Like the author, he was later diagnosed with a mental illness and institutionalized for awhile.

Sadly, his life came to a violent end in 1979. He was stabbed to death during an urban sidewalk robbery in San Francisco.

Chris' sister Nell, however, went on to become a psychotherapist.

Last edited:
Thinking about this rather than more important things. I can't think of why I couldn't confidently ride an XS650 from Mississippi to the Pacific Northwest and beyond, then back again. I think the bike should prove more durable than me. It's just a matter of packing it with the essentials. I'm interested in thoughts and comments on this.
Been there, done that! Really hope you're planning to do it, but not until spring. One thing I found is long hours of highway speed does different things than any amount of around town riding. My rear sprocket kept loosening util I gave the locking tabs a deluxe treatment. Chain guard loosened at the rear a couple of times in addition to making it harder to check and lube the chain, so I removed it and left it somewhere. Shocks started leaking. Forks started leaking from grit. Vacuum petcock started leaking and had to modify to fix. I took spare coil, ignition, pickup, regulator, other small parts. Had to use the pickup and the coil (before I discovered MP08 coils). For space and weight savings minimal tools, just wrenches in the right sizes, no ratchet for example. Think small, light, and double duty for everything, and bare necessities. I had a plastic 1 gal gas can strapped on because of stretches with no stations. Probably better to put pack sideways instead of vertical -- there were times I was sure the side wind was going to pick me up and set me down somewhere else... And always remember -- it's for fun ;)

DSCI0068.JPG

DSCI0093.JPG

I do an annual camping trip which is about 750km-800km round trip in a weekend.

The bike has no trouble, but I find that loaded with gear, 400km in a day is about my max.

The big thing I find is the sock special II seat is not designed for long saddle time (I’m 6’-2” and have longish legs).

For next year, I may need to fab up some highway pegs so that I can stretch my legs.

Back