How hard is it to bob for a novice?

Audioblack

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting a XS650, because I've been admiring them for a while now. I want a bobber, but how hard is to bob one out? I can't weld, so I was think that I would be sending off to have somebody weld the hardtail on. But besides the fact that I can't are there any other concerns i should be worried about?

I can work on bikes a little, bit. I mean should I just wait and save some money and try and get one that has already been built? I want to build one, but I don't know if I have the ability or know how to do it.

I guess what I'm really saying is what all would need to be done from stock XS650 to a bobber?

Thanks!

You could always get a project bike that has been started, just make sure the title is good and you just have to finish it up. Remember learning by doing always works just take the time needed to do so.

Best of luck

I think buying a bobber that is already street legal and on the road would be the way to go .Building a bike can get expensive ,you can buy finished bikes( any style ) for less than it costs to build one . It is easier to learn about motorcycles if you have a working model , best to learn how to maintain and repair a bike first before you try to build one from scratch I think .

starting from scratch with little mechanical /electrical/welding knowhow skills is a big ask imo

You'll need to budget for a lot of money lots of expensive tools including a Mig Welder & grinder lots of special tools to split and join the chains, remove rotor etc etc probably a press for bearings and you'll want to clean and polish so a polisher and soda blaster etc .

It can be a big expensive project depending on the state of the donor bike and will need planning preparation perseverance and lots of money and a good well lit space with power .

Your best bet is probably to either buy one ready done or at least one that is nearly completed where someone has run out of money, patience , space or skill :thumbsup:

The first one is always a learning process. It is best if you have at least the basics as far as mechanical skills and fabrication skills even if they are a bit rusty. If you are short on skills it is best to either have deep pockets to have a shop do it or have a mentor that can make sure you do it right. The worst thing to do is get in over your head and have an unfinished project with a conciderable amount of money tied up in and no way of getting it done.

I have to disagree. You can build a great looking brat bobber with a sawzall or grinder and a $20 tool set from Wal Mart. Even with no mechanical skills, you are always just a youtube video away from fixing anything. If you have the desire to have a cool bike, the ability part is easily self taught.

I have to disagree. You can build a great looking brat bobber with a sawzall or grinder and a $20 tool set from Wal Mart. Even with no mechanical skills, you are always just a youtube video away from fixing anything. If you have the desire to have a cool bike, the ability part is easily self taught.

I agree. I built mine for around a total of $3000 with an engine rebuild....and the bike cost me $1500. I also had no welding skills, but previous bike work experience.

Go for it if you have basic tools and space to work on it. Buy some manuals like clymer and/or Yamaha factory service manual (best) and dig in. Label everything you pull off the bike and take as many pictures of assemblies as you need. Out source for welding and machining if you have to. Out source for welding and machining if you have to. There's plenty of info on this site about any question you might have. Take our time and be overly cautious. You'll have a lot of fun and the end result is awesome. Riding a bike that you know you built yourself is a great feeling.

No skills, knowledge, tools or mechanical aptitude? Hasn't been a barrier to a lot of folks here! :laugh:

Don't put much into it if you don't want much out of it. You can "build" (that means totally fuck up) a bike for not much cash, but to craft a nice ride will cost you cash, blood, sweat, and the occaisional manly tear.

If you are only inclined to have a trashy looking piece of shit that might very well kill you at any given time, might as well buy that. Anyone can "build" that. Contrast a rattle can black birdshit gobbed up weld job with rust and no brakes on it with Spade's fantastic "Thug Life (AKA Capone, see the thread) and decide if you are going to commit, or just fart around and make a mess.
That's my 2 cents. I know what I have the patience for, so I ride slightly modified stockers. Not that I don't have tools or aptitude, just no drive for an extended project. Too much other life going on right now.
Good luck, whichever way you go.

You will end up spending more time and money than you originally budgeted.

It's a good learning experience, I've certainly learned a lot building and re-building mine on a majorly tight budget. Looks like shit because I haven't been able to afford professional paint, but it runs well.

And let's be honest, not everyone is going to build a bike like Thug Life aka Capone on their first, second or even third shot unless you don't build the bike (having shops do everything instead). If you do end up with a masterpiece like that because you've got the talent, you're in the wrong business unless you're building for a living.

~ Derek

Last edited:
You'll definitely spend more than you think. But if your skills are lacking in one area - like welding - you just need to make some friends. There is likely someone in your town that can weld a few tabs or small pieces - this doesn't have to be a motorcycle shop either. I had the local tech college instructor weld new neck gussets for me. And all of the hardtail suppliers offer install services for really low rates.

Welding is the main area that I cannot do myself due to lack of experience and tools. But everything else can be achieved with the ability to read a manual, lots of patience, and the sense to walk away and try tomorrow if things aren't going well.

If you want to be riding something in the next 2 weeks, then buy someone else's finished project. But if you have the time (there's nothing on tv anyway...), patience (this might help you develop some...), and dough (well, not much can be done about that...), you can do it. It's always cooler to ride your own machine.

I built my first bike from an assortment of milk crates and it turned out excellent. Mind you i have been wrenching with my dad since i was 10 and now professionally for 12 years

Not really the 1 sided answer I was hoping for. I guess it's gonna come down to if I can find a bike cheap enough to work on.

Thanks for all the answers!

Audioblack, you're gonna get a lot of sh!t from people here but on the lighter side, a lot of help as well. I had NO welding experience but I borrowed a friends MIG and figured it out. Not saying they were pretty but they hold and that's what grinders and paint are for. I also had to bring my frame and hardtail to a local shop a friend owns to have it TIG welded. I figured out other things using a little commons sense and a lot of reading on this forum. Literally anything can be done if you take your time and really think about the finished product. If you make a mistake (and you will) adjust and fix it. Took me 1 month from start to finish and I would call myself a novice as well. Price is up you the cost of the bike the new parts and your ingenuity with recycling what you already have. I'm gonna say good luck and if you need help post it here or contact me direct. Ill help ya buddy!!!

There are some great custom bikes that have been built by members of this forum . There are also lots of bad ones . You will get tons of advice every time you ask a question . The quality of the advice given ranges from great to garbage . I was trying to point out what I think is bad advice ( not all advice is good advice ). If you are going to build a bike and you have very little experience with motorcycles in general , my advice for buying a motorcycle that is already on the road and learning basic mechanics while riding ( that is the ultimate goal right? To have a bike to ride ? )

You could build up a collection of parts and tools as you go , while gaining knowledge and skill . OR , you could just grab an angle grinder and start hacking . Totally up to you .

ok heres my 2 cents, and I dont care if its wanted.... I didnt own any chopping tools until i started my first project.. I bought, borrowed and made what I needed. with no prior experience.... I had time, a garage, oh I miss the garage, a few great forums to help me out in the sticky situations, and a vision.... That is all you need to start....

ok heres my 2 cents, and I dont care if its wanted.... I didnt own any chopping tools until i started my first project.. I bought, borrowed and made what I needed. with no prior experience.... I had time, a garage, oh I miss the garage, a few great forums to help me out in the sticky situations, and a vision.... That is all you need to start....
No offence , but anyone can start a project , it's finishing that counts . I see tons of half built bobbers for sale. The guy did ask how hard it was for a novice to build a bike . It isn't easy .

Scrambled, Every one has a right to start what they want. if they don't finnish it why do you care. it is not your problem.

You are allowed, (and have a right), to have an opinion like every one else but do you do not have a right to attack some else's and impose yours.

Read rule guidelines 3, 5, 7 and 8

It isn't easy

For you.

Never once has the first time I did anything on a bike been as hard as people like you make it out to be. For instance rebuilding carbs was easy to learn, rebuilding wheels was a snap, but if I believed people like you I never would have tried because you think it's brain surgery. These things have a 2 cylinder motor that is as simple as machinery gets. We live in the era of Youtube, there is not one thing about a bike you can't learn with a simple Google search.

Sorry to bust your bubble but it isn't that hard for everyone, you shouldn't base your advice solely on your experience and limitations. You are doing him a disservice by discouraging him. Not to mention you are doing the entire motorcycling community a disservice with your elitist attitude. How about run what ya brung, chop what ya got? And anything anyone puts their heart into that has two wheels is cool in my book.

Back