How lean do the late XS,s run?

nlovern

possom man
Reaction score
Hi,
Nathan here. I pulled my plugs out of my 82 to check them and the were white with a hint of brown. Havent seen a plug that clean in any bike ever i think.
How lean do the 82.s run? is it dangerous? I use high octane gas.
My Xs has been getting harder to start every day this week. anout 10 kicks VS 1 kick 3 weks ago. I trickled charged my battery and it wa sfine. The battery is over 2 years old now. Guess its not holding a good charge. Its charging 14.6 volts. I checked it several weeks ago. Charging system good.
Nathan

The plugs sound ok lots of differant opinions on plug color I don't claim to be an expert mine are like that.Lots of opinions on plug color.Over advanced timing causes more problems than a lean fuel mixture. The low battery can cause hard starting age I have had them last 5 or 6 years and some go bad after 1 year. If you bike is charging at 14.5 volts I would have the battery load tested. If it is a lead acid battery proper water level must be maintained.A battery store will load tested. Hoped this helped.

Okay three weeks ago.. Same gas? It doesn't last like it used too. I use Sta-bil with every fill up, but then I don't ride them every week. Your plug color is OK. Yamaha had to lean these way out because of the EPA. I usually get 5-6 years out of a battery, kept charged over the winter. Unless I forget to check the electrolyte level. I blew one up this spring. It was only one year old. I forgot to check the fluid. Heard a bang when I started it about 15 miles from home. Cracked that sucker big time, no fluid anywhere on the bike. In a sense I got lucky. I check them monthly now. I used to say I did, now I do it.
Good luck,
Whynot2
Oh.. It was starting hard for some reason. Maybe it was the battery?

Hi,
Nathan here. I pulled my plugs out of my 82 to check them and the were white with a hint of brown. Havent seen a plug that clean in any bike ever i think.
How lean do the 82.s run? is it dangerous? I use high octane gas.
My Xs has been getting harder to start every day this week. anout 10 kicks VS 1 kick 3 weks ago. I trickled charged my battery and it wa sfine. The battery is over 2 years old now. Guess its not holding a good charge. Its charging 14.6 volts. I checked it several weeks ago. Charging system good.
Nathan

It would be better if you could post a picture. If you have some brown and no blistering they should be OK.

Here's a pic of my plugs after a 2000 km trip. They are a little on the lean side, but I think they are fine.

Attachments

• After 2030 kms in 2011 rev 1.JPG
    After 2030 kms in 2011 rev 1.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 68
Back