How loud are your valves?

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hey guys just did a valve adjustment yesterday. Left side I can faintly hear my valves but on the right they are about twice as loud....I'm pretty sure I didn't do the adjustment backwards but now i'm wondering if I was for sure at TDC on the compression stroke....

Anyway when properly adjusted can you hear your valves over the exhaust?

No, not really. I would re-check that loud side. When you set them, you should always rotate the engine a few times and recheck just to insure you've done it right. Also, you didn't mention what settings you used. Although some years do spec .004" for the intakes, if you use that sometimes they'll really clatter.

That's way big on any bike. .004" intake, .006" exhaust is common, and in the 78-81 service manual. I know people that go .003 and .005 on older bikes.
.006 and .012 would beat up your valve seats, I would think.

Here's a copy paste from the valve adjustment video on here. This is also the numbers my clymer called for....my bike is a 77 with a 447 engine...correct me if i'm wrong

"Ok, here is a 4 part video tutorial on how to adjust the valves. My camera work is not too good, but you'll get the idea. Please note to do this with a cold engine. It's a pain until you get the hang of it, but is most essential.
Remember, as I advise, to rotate the engine back around through it's cycle and
re-check the valve you adjusted.
Always check to make sure you are at TDC compression stroke and you are adjusting the correct valve and using the correct clearence number.
Tappets - model...inlet...exhaust
...XS1-B.....0.003"(0.076mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)
...XS2-650..0.006"(0.15mm)....0.012"(0.30mm)
...XSB........0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.004"(0.10mm)
...XSC-on...0.0024"(0.06mm)...0.006"(0.15mm)

.006 and .012 were the spec for the 73 tx650. I used those values the first time that I set the valves and it was LOUD. There is a thread on this forum that describes the differences between the valve lash settings for the earlier year motors and how they changed for no apparent reason. I now run .003 and .006 with no adverse affects, and the top end is much quieter now as well.

Hmmm...It is the largest gapped setting....I guess I'll try that setting and see what happens....I can't stand loud valves....but loose lives so i'm skeptical

Back