How many volts cranking with a permanant magnant stator?

bassgoat1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I did the VF500 stator and votage regulator swap.

Just wondering how many volts the regulator should be just cranking the engine with the starter. i'm getting only about 4 volts. Is that normal? When i hook use the points, condeser and a coil the spark seems weak. It's not a very good battery, do you think when I get the motor installed and kick it good it will be enough to start it?

- i dont run either a battery or e-start but get a nice fat spark from a kick

A bad battery will always make for a bad electrical system, no matter what you've got charging it! So a good start is a good battery, then work from there! :cheers:

- that stator doesnt look properly centered...hope its just a perspective thing

It's centered fine. just looks like that in the picture. I'm running points and condenser no CDI. The bike is going to have no battery and I have the accel cap hooked up. I just been cranking it with a old battery to test it out. Maybe it's because it's turning too slow. I basicly just want it like a old briggs. Kick it to life with old simple points and condenser.

A bad battery will always make for a bad electrical system, no matter what you've got charging it! So a good start is a good battery, then work from there! :cheers:

How do dirt bikes, quads, lawn mowers, chain saws, ect. start with no battery? I though is was from perm magnetos. That is why I went with the perm mag setup, no battery needed I thought. I just wanted to make sure it is normal for this setup to have low volts when cranking med. speed. I'm sure it will be fine when I actualy go to kick when the bike is done. i did eveything right and go a brand new condenser and ACCEL capacitor kit ( just to keep the lights from flickering). I am one the right track right?

Yeah perm mag is great, I run no battery, easy starts no problem, but if you have a crap battery, it will suck the juice away! 4 volts says a problem, a bad battery is a problem, maybe the 2 are related????? cheers

Yeah perm mag is great, I run no battery, easy starts no problem, but if you have a crap battery, it will suck the juice away! 4 volts says a problem, a bad battery is a problem, maybe the 2 are related????? cheers

I'll have to get it to turn faster for sure. i was wondering if anybody knew how much voltage they nomaly produce when they are just cranking.

...I found a complete VF500 system here...
Flywheel the same taper/fit as the Yam one?

Last edited:
'61, there's a huge thread on this on the garage. I think you still need a Banshee flywheel, maybe also a RD, not sure.

Once before I posted that a Banshee is a LC motor. That is not correct, I've had a good look at one since & a Banshee motor is almost identical to a RZ engine YPVS, except it doesn't have the power valves. Aparantly the rotors are also different, not sure how though!

Ive been searching 6 months for another YPVS setup (sold my last one as I was desperate for cash!) but good ones are as rare as hens teeth here...
Maybe just the VF500 stators the same then?
I might try and sneak back unoticed into the Garage again..

I'm running the exact same setup in all my xs"s and it starts no problem w/electric start,probably your battery is shot.To do this mod u just need a banshee flywheel, a new woodruff key,a stator 3 phase I think I used a interceptor and a reg/rec i used a suzuki gs550. There's a whole section on this at the garage that rigg's started a fews years back. There's about 20 different stators u can use and a boatload of reg/rect that will work.You have to use a banshee or rd flywheel these are the only ones that fit the xs.

Back